Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies: Good book or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aryiman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this a good book to buy or not? I would really like to get a book that tells me everything I need to know about setting up a modern tank.

I would not waste my time with that book. You could find more knowledge and get a head start by reading these forums then you could one of those bogus "for dummies" books. I remember my sister got windows for dummies a long time ago and I was laughing at some of the crap they had in that thing. Maybe that book is different but I doubt it.

I like the software for dummies books, personally. Frontpage and Flash for dummies are pretty good books. I sort of assumed all dummies books were equally good quality, but I guess I'm wrong.

I believe that Windows for dummies assumes that you know absolutely NOTHING about operating systems, so I would expect them to include things like "this is a mouse pointer".

My experience with Dummies books has been pretty good, I'll probably buy the SW tanks for Dummies book when the time comes for me to set one up.

It a pretty good book to get BASIC stuff.

Try the concienscioust marine aquarist or whatever its called, or the new marine aquarium, or even saltwater aquariums for idiots.

The dummies one isn't really organized very well and he tells you a lot of incorrect things.But it's a good "just starting to think of sw" book.

I agree that it is a good basic start. I bought it before finding this forum. Now I wish I had combined that money with more to get the conscientious aquarist instead. It is definitely better than nothing and is fairly recent, but it could have you buying things you don't really need.

Back
Top Bottom