Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-19-2008, 01:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Question Saltwater beginer questions - Cycling

I just started a Red Sea Max 34 galons...saltwater, live rock (20 pounds), aragonite on October 12,. Everything looks good and clean ph 8.0 amonia 0, nitrite 0...after a couple days I saw a kind of feather dust, a very small snail etc...but last thursday/friday I notice the aragonite got hear and thear gold spots, and my live rock has been cover by that gold spots too. Sometimes even on the glass I can see those gold spots, with can easy been clean with a magnetic clean up tool...
So is that normal? Do I have to do anything about it? Am I doing anything wrong?
I have my lights on for 12 hours....

(the top of the left lr show the gold spot!)

caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
take a picture and more ppl will be able to help. what are you using to cycle your tank?

HoCkEyGmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Thanks I'll take a picture...but as I said I'm totaly new on that ...and what does ppl means? To cycle I didn't use nothing special only but all that together (salt water ..natural from Monterrey bay), Aragonite, Live Rock cured. But the aragonite use to be all clean and white now get's gold,brown spots... But I'll take a picture and posted it.

thanks for your help
caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular
ppl=people, Also you might need to put something that will generate ammonia in your tank so you can fully start your cycle, because in less than a week there is NO way you should be through the nitrogen cycle yet. Its prolly cause you havent started one, put a piece of raw jumbo shrimp in your tank and do water tests daily.
CaPoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to catmel
Yep, probably still going through your cycle. I'd add some grocery store shrimp like suggested and test daily. You should see a rise in ammonia, then nitrite then nitrate ( the first two should then be zero). You might be seeing diatoms from excess nutrients in your tank, that's normal. I'd still take a picture and show us just to be sure though
75 Gallon Saltwater Reef

Just your average LVT (licenced vet tech) trying to help the world's animals!!
- Melinda
catmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
well the bay is full of pollutants and such. you might get lucky that you dont get any type harmful chemicals. also the diatoms (gold spot) are part of your cycling process here are a few links

The Building of a Reef (tank) by Eric Borneman - CVR Forums!
Beginner FAQ: The Nitrogen Cycle
What is the Nitrogen Cycling Process?

hope this helps
ThatGuy619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Check out the article section. Read about a fishless cycle. It sounds like diatoms to me as well though without an ammonia source to keep the bacteria growing you are going to have issues. As CaPone said throw a raw unseasoned shrimp in the tank to get the cycle going.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

cycling, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com