Saltwater beginer questions - Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caco

Aquarium Advice Regular
http://s410.photobucket.com/albums/pp183/cacolaco/
cacolaco

I just started a Red Sea Max 34 galons...saltwater, live rock (20 pounds), aragonite on October 12,. Everything looks good and clean ph 8.0 amonia 0, nitrite 0...after a couple days I saw a kind of feather dust, a very small snail etc...but last thursday/friday I notice the aragonite got hear and thear gold spots, and my live rock has been cover by that gold spots too. Sometimes even on the glass I can see those gold spots, with can easy been clean with a magnetic clean up tool...
So is that normal? Do I have to do anything about it? Am I doing anything wrong?
I have my lights on for 12 hours....

Thanks

(the top of the left lr show the gold spot!)

Thanks I'll take a picture...but as I said I'm totaly new on that ...and what does ppl means? To cycle I didn't use nothing special only but all that together (salt water ..natural from Monterrey bay), Aragonite, Live Rock cured. But the aragonite use to be all clean and white now get's gold,brown spots... But I'll take a picture and posted it.

thanks for your help

ppl=people, Also you might need to put something that will generate ammonia in your tank so you can fully start your cycle, because in less than a week there is NO way you should be through the nitrogen cycle yet. Its prolly cause you havent started one, put a piece of raw jumbo shrimp in your tank and do water tests daily.

Yep, probably still going through your cycle. I'd add some grocery store shrimp like suggested and test daily. You should see a rise in ammonia, then nitrite then nitrate ( the first two should then be zero). You might be seeing diatoms from excess nutrients in your tank, that's normal. I'd still take a picture and show us just to be sure though ;)

Check out the article section. Read about a fishless cycle. It sounds like diatoms to me as well though without an ammonia source to keep the bacteria growing you are going to have issues. As CaPone said throw a raw unseasoned shrimp in the tank to get the cycle going.

Back
Top Bottom