Saltwater change premixed vs mixing myself

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey now, don't be hatting on finding nemo. And the 4 inch per gallon all depends on what you have

fish are friends not food

Oh. Well it was told to me a long time ago when I first started it. What is the real size?

I read somewhere on the forums today that 1" of fish per 5 gallons of water is a general rule of thumb.

That sounds about right. I think I just got it all mixed up and stuff, so much info you need to know it's hard to remember it without being confused. You know?

That sounds about right. I think I just got it all mixed up and stuff, so much info you need to know it's hard to remember it without being confused. You know?

Definitely. :) I am a newbie and I'm absorbing so much information. Fun though!

Yeah. I've been doing this for 4 years and just now getting reef tank set up, started out with puffers. Great fish.

There's no good inch per gallon rule. There's a whole lot more to it than that.

I read somewhere on the forums today that 1" of fish per 5 gallons of water is a general rule of thumb.
If you are going with the inch per 5g besure it's the fishes adult size. We don't use the inch per gallon rule in SW. You have to go by the temperment of the fish and the type of tank you want.

If you are going with the inch per 5g besure it's the fishes adult size. We don't use the inch per gallon rule in SW. You have to go by the temperment of the fish and the type of tank you want.

Thanks for that. I am just a newbie and am reading and absorbing information. :D

Really? So along as the fish don't get stressed you can keep adding them?

There's a limit to how many fish you can put in the tank and keep it healthy. Just because a hippo tang doesn't seem stressed doesn't mean you can put it in a 55G tank. They need the swimming room, and if not accommodated they will become immuno-compromised.

Before you get a fish look into it on say a website like liveaquaria.com, it will give you the minimum tank size required for the fish. If you have a stocking question just come ask us here on AA, there's much more to stocking than inches of fish per x-amount of gallons, regardless of SW or FW.

As long as you have no inverts... and do allot of water changes....You have to l;ook at where and what your fish eats. Does it eat corals? does it eat off the water column or eat inverts. These are all the things you have to look at before...../.not after you buy that fish!!!!@!!!

Back
Top Bottom