Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Research more then a month ahead IMO. I researched 6 months ahead and everything went very smooth from my transition from fresh to salt.

Thanks nikki, lol. Everything she said was right.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Imo I still think it really depends on the ops wants. You could setup a small damsel tank with the store bought aquarium kits pretty much and store bought saltwater and have a decent little saltwater tank. This is obviously a bare minimum but it does work. If you told us what you would like to have as livestock or a general direction we could put together an equipment list for you and all the basics you would need.

Old 09-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah. I researched for a month then researched as it was cycling and kind of did a research one step then do that step, research the next, then do the next. Made me stay patient.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Imo I still think it really depends on the ops wants. You could setup a small damsel tank with the store bought aquarium kits pretty much and store bought saltwater and have a decent little saltwater tank. This is obviously a bare minimum but it does work. If you told us what you would like to have as livestock or a general direction we could put together an equipment list for you and all the basics you would need.
I want a clown fish and the blue fish from neno
Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

A 10 gallon is waaaay to small for a blue tang (dory)! A 125 is considered to small...more like 180+ gallons. Even a clown might not be appropriate for such a small tank. Possibly just the one clown, a goby, a shrimp and a CUC would be sufficient and would be a good bioload.

- Winston Churchill
obscurereef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If there is one point of advice I would want to give, being new to saltwater myself, it is RESEARCH! You cannot do enough research in this hobby.. I check this forum daily and learn new things all the time.. The bigger the tank the better, for several reasons. Before you put any fish in your 10g, please make sure it isn't a fish that is going to get huge (I.e. blue hippo tang). I have spent a lot of time on different sites like liveaquaria.com and others about minimum tank sizes for fish.. Definitely check them out and/or ask questions on here.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:08 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Research research research.
As for fish, alot of websites are incorporating "nano fish" sections to their sw selections. These are fish that fit comfortably in a smaller tank. As for tank size, bigger tanks ARE more stable and "easier" to maintain (the chemical levels usually dont swing so fast in them due to volume) but bigger also means more $$$ in almost all aspects (more salt, more water, more live rock, bigger equipment). Someone mentioned CL i would def keep a close eye on there. People are constantly getting rid of setups. As for the Blue Hippo Tang, PLEASSSEE do not disregard others advice about these fish. They can grow rather big and need excessive amounts of swimming space. Thats not even the catch, they are extremely sensitive to shock/ stress, which in turn makes them vunerable to Ick and other diseases. 125 minimum for them

huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com