Saltwater mix.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was using Oceanic salt and when I checked my levels, the calcium was alway 450 or higher. In never changd, but the alkinity always dropped very low. I talked to a different lfs and he said with oceanic and the reef crystals the calcium is always high because the corals have a hard time absorbing it. He said that Red sea pro is better and corals will absorb the nutrients easier. I have been using red sea for 2 months now and when I check the levels, my calcium, magnesium and alk get low, so I'm dosing a couple times a week. I have a 120 gallon tank and do water changes 25 gallons every week. What is your opinion on this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Salt mixes vary on importance, be it high calcium or alk. Each has their own. I get whatever is on sale. I personally didn't have a good run with Red Sea Pro and it ended up with a cyano outbreak, which is something I read about some others having this issue as well at the time. Not sure why or if the salt was to blame, but there is some relation there.
In terms of absorbing alk easier than calcium, not really. Soft corals will use alk but not calcium for example. It just isn't that easy of an answer.
You are doing a hefty water change, so that is good. This should be replenishing things as best possible, but if the corals are in there using them up faster than you can replenish by water changes then you will need to continue dosing.

I have used both Red Sea and Instant Ocean with no problems. I use Instant Ocean now just because it is cheaper and so far so good (going on 4 years now without issue.)

I like oceanic, but it does have low alk. If you have high calcium, you are going to have low alk- you can't avoid that. I have been using assorted salts for years and have never found one amazing salt that does everything. Alternate if you wish. Oceanic is one of the cleaner mixing salts i have come across though....Many others leave a nasty residue in my 55 gallon drum.
I will say that your LFS is incorrect about corals having a hard time absorbing elements in those salt mixes....the reason is simply that they have more of it than others. A water test of your newly mixed water should clear that up for you.

Thank you, I thought the lfs was pulling my leg. Red sea is more expensive than oceanic. I normally don't go to that guy I was visiting my mom and stopped by the store. He just wanted to make a sale. The lfs that I always go to was surprised that I changed salts. I usually buy the oceanic from him.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use Instant Ocean, and dose what my tank needs. Theres not need to go with those high priced salts, your tanks is just gonna eat what it needs anyways.

Back
Top Bottom