Saltwater Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kemosabe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I'm thinking about taking the dive into saltwater. I currently have 2 freshwater tanks (20-gal & 30-gal). The way my room and cabinetry is set up, I'm thinking about getting a matching 20-gal to go on side to balance out the look. Then transfer everything from the 30-gal in middle to the new 20-gal. Then I want to convert the 30-gal to saltwater.

So, I'm looking for thoughts or pitfalls with the idea. Plus, what do I need to keep in mind for a 30-gal saltwater tank. And any other general info to avoid newbie mistakes would be appreciated. Recommendations for equipment would be valued as well.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not familiar with the 30g tank. I know of the 29g. Same footrpint as the 20g long I believe. Depth would be the difference in the 29g, so lighting a reef tank is gonna cost more maybe. With SW, the more water volume, the better since more is forgiving when things happen.

Read thru some of our articles at this site before you buy anything. That might also help you decide if you want fish oly or fish and reef.

Yeah, it is most likely a 29-gal. It's about 36"L X 12"W X 18"H. I know the smaller the tank, the more challenging, but it's what I have to work with. I could possibly go larger but it couldn't be more than 40-42"L X 12"W X 24"H. That would fill my space very nicely but would require all new equipment. So, is it unwise to try a 29-gal SW?

A 29 gal is fine, heck even a 10 gal is fine but as Austin stated the size will determine how difficult it will be to maintain. With less water volume, the actual quality of the water needs to be checked more often and you'll find evaporation to be a little more noticeable. Besides that it'll be fine, good luck with the new tank!

Looks like we got an "all clear" on the 29g. Now, you want fish only or reef too? Gonna need lights, filtration/skimmer (look up HOB skimmers) and other stuff of course, but those are your most important needs.

So fish or reef too? What do you see in your tank in a year from now?

I was a freshwater guy for most of my life and 3 years ago went to fish only saltwater tank 44g. What I discovered was that saltwater tanks were more than just incrementally more work, they are exponentially more work. What I mean is that my maintenance (time spent) and cost are tripled or quadrupled between freshwater and saltwater. If you go with corals and reef, it only gets even more time consuming and expensive. I would think hard before making the plunge. Your best bet for a 29g might be a nano cube which basically will take care of most of the headache for you, but you will need to do water changes.

That would look fantastic, the three tank idea. :D As for getting into it, once your tank is up and running, it's really not that hard. Mine has been going for a year now. Bi-weekly 20% water changes and weekly testing and your sweet. :) There will be bumps in the road but don't be discouraged because the rewards are worth it! Are you gonna do a reef tank (a tank that has corals) or a FOWLR tank? (Fish Only With Live Rock - basically means you can get fish that would otherwise chow down on corals :))

I was just curious. Although, I do love my popcorn. I go to the movies just for the popcorn. I dont even care what is playing sometimes.

I have had many smaller reefs. I like the look and the maintenance is easier. weekly water changes are very quick compared to my 75g or when I had a 200g. The smaller space allows you to sit and watch everything start to grow. Go for it and Good luck. Just make sure you take your time and not rush learn as much as you can.

If you decide to do a SW tank don't rush things and do a lot of research. It isn't as hard as I thought it would be, more expensive and time consuming yes but more interesting.

Your tank size is bigger than the one I started with.
The 2 most important things for a small tank is the test kit and refractometer.

Back
Top Bottom