Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would say the two hang on back filters would be a good start.

You can always go to a sump later if you want. makign the sump can be kinda cheap but you will need an overflow to get the water from the tank to the sump or you need to drill the tank and you will need a return pump to bring the water back from the sump into your tank.

I'd say youre looking at about $150 to make a sump vs whatever you can get the hob filters for. A sump is also a good place to put your skimmer if you have one, but then youre adding another $200 or so to the total.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

So Carey you think that some live rock the 2 hob filters and later a hob skimmer would be ok! I might go to a sump later but for now I was hoping to avoid it!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My first few tanks I skipped the sump as well. I was new, I didn't quite get it and I was scared. lol

I have a 55g now that I am running a fluval canister on with no ill effects. For a 55g I would suggest having at least 60-70lbs of rock (you can get mostly base or dead rock and the rest can be "live") and running a hang on back filter. The rock is about 80% of your biological filtration and the hang on filter is just for mechanical filtration pretty much.

If you are starting fish only with live rock then I think you can wait on a skimmer, you'll just have to be religious with your weekly water changes and not overstock and overfeed. The skimmer removes organic material from your tank so the less you have the better.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I appreciate the info! I'm still eying to get it together and fresh is all I've ever done! I've been told that you don't have to o as large water changes as you have to do with fresh! I was told 20% biweekly is good for salt is this sufficient or what would you recomend? I do 50 a week on my fresh but I keep stocking at around 80 % according to aq advisor
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I do about 20% a week depending on my mood. sometimes I do a bit more if I'm feeling ambitious. LOL I usually do about 12-16g a week on my 55g.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I was thinking that was probably not enough to keep everythingat the right levels!

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com