Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Saltwater Newbie looking for advice

Hello everyone! I have 2 tanks that are empty right now. One is a 50 gallon and the other is a 10 gallon. Me and my brother recently decided that we want to stArt a saltwater tank. I think I would rather do the 50 gallon. I've heard that 10 gallon tanks can be quite hard to maintain.

What sort of setup advice can you saltwater vets give me since I'm considering a marine aquarium. Meaning stock ideas? Lighting? Filtration?

Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The 50 will be easier and more pleasing.

First thing to consider. Do you want a fish only tank or a reef tank? And do you want predator/aggressive or peaceful community.

Get the most porus live rock you can get. Trust me it helps. And get yourself a good over powered skimmer.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khij159753
The 50 will be easier and more pleasing.

First thing to consider. Do you want a fish only tank or a reef tank? And do you want predator/aggressive or peaceful community.

Get the most porus live rock you can get. Trust me it helps. And get yourself a good over powered skimmer.
Well I want to take on a project that will be appropriate for my experience or lack of with saltwater. I'll have to look into a good protein skiimmer. Im personally into the peaceful community fish. But I like predators as well. I have a thing for eels. What is a good beginner fish?

I'm thinking about a reef. But I hear coral is expensive and hard to care for.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you set up your tank right corral isn't much harder but it is a lot more expensive.

If your not doing corral you might as well do predators. They're a little more entertaining. In a 55 predator tank a snowflake eel would be a good starter fish.

The way I look at it is predator tanks are more entertaining and have more personality. And reefs are more pretty. I have both so I can help you either way and make you successful but reef is expensive fish only is about 200+$ cheaper
Old 12-10-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
If you set up your tank right corral isn't much harder but it is a lot more expensive.

If your not doing corral you might as well do predators. They're a little more entertaining. In a 55 predator tank a snowflake eel would be a good starter fish.

The way I look at it is predator tanks are more entertaining and have more personality. And reefs are more pretty. I have both so I can help you either way and make you successful but reef is expensive fish only is about 200+$ cheaper
I was considering a snowflake eel. Are they known for being open swimmers? Also could there be room for a tank mate? I'd probably start FOWLR. But I'm open to all possibilities. Would all that equipment be worth it for a single snowflake eel?
Old 12-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a 55 predator tank. Look it up. "55Gal predator tank" if you get a good skimmer. About 50lbs of live rock and sand. A power head and a cheap light. You could do a predator tank. You could easily have a snowflake eel, a dwarf lionfish, and a Toby puffer in there. Or something along those lines. Probably even another couple fish if your skimmer is good.

But read my thread and it'll give you an idea. I'm doing 6 fish in mine but I'm planning on moving a couple to a 75 that ill set up when they start growing.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I have a 55 predator tank. Look it up. "55Gal predator tank" if you get a good skimmer. About 50lbs of live rock and sand. A power head and a cheap light. You could do a predator tank. You could easily have a snowflake eel, a dwarf lionfish, and a Toby puffer in there. Or something along those lines. Probably even another couple fish if your skimmer is good.

But read my thread and it'll give you an idea. I'm doing 6 fish in mine but I'm planning on moving a couple to a 75 that ill set up when they start growing.
Hmm I can't seem to find the other thread. But I like the fish that you've mentioned so far. That would be an interesting stock. As far as the the couple of other fish, what could I add? Would they have to be predators too? Could I add an anemone and clowns?
Old 12-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anemone and clowns would probably work. But the clowns would have to be bigger than the mouth of the eel and lion. And the anemone is gonna need stronger lights than all the corral would need so you'd need expensive lights.

The 6 I'm putting in mine.... So you could pick 4 of these.... Snowflake eel, Toby puffer, dwarf lion, fu Manchu lion, angler, and blood red hawkfish
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Anemone and clowns would probably work. But the clowns would have to be bigger than the mouth of the eel and lion. And the anemone is gonna need stronger lights than all the corral would need so you'd need expensive lights.

The 6 I'm putting in mine.... So you could pick 4 of these.... Snowflake eel, Toby puffer, dwarf lion, fu Manchu lion, angler, and blood red hawkfish
Do the clowns need an anemone? Also yours is 50 gallon?
Old 12-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

No clowns don't need an anemone. And yeah my predator tank is a 55 but keep in mind all my fish are babies and when they start growing. A couple of them will be relocated to a 75.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com