Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2005, 06:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to badfish
Saltwater Newbie - Need Advice

I am a newbie to SW and will be setting up a tank within the next 1-2 months. What i want is a 45 Gallon tank FOWLR. I have been getting contradicting advice from my LFS and from other Forums. I want to start with FOWLR and maybe eventually add some corals. This is what i was told i needed.

1: Filter - LFS said i needed one, people on other forums said i dont since i will have a 4 inch sand bed, around 30lbs of liverock, and a protein skimmer (most likely a BAK-PAK 2, or Aqua C Remora).
2: Substrate - 4 inch sand bed, the stuff brought from Home Depot (think its called southdown).
3: Liverock - 30lbs from liverock.com (20 base rock and 10 keys)
4: Protein skimmer: BAK-PAK 2, or Aqua C Remora. or any other suggestions?
5: 2 Powerheads - dont know any good brand or how many gph i need
6: Heater - unknown of how many watts or any good brands
7: Lighting - some said the basic hoodlight would be fine, other say i need compact flourecent. THis is where i am really confused, the tank im looking to buy has space for two flourent lights, do i need to just change bulb, or do i need a whole new setup?
8: UV Sterilizer - Do i need this, and if so how many watts and whats a good brand.
9: Quarantine Tank - Do i need this, and what would a good setup include? i heard a 10 Gallon tank with 1 powerhead and small biowheel would be suitable.

Feel free to add any suggestions or comments. Thanks again.

- Jeff

Old 02-27-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

1- No mechanical filter is required but some use it for water polishing and as a place to hold carbon etc.
2- For the DSB you are looking for the 4 inches will work fine for denitrification.
3- Liverocks.com is great. Ideally you want 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon for best filtration.
4- I would definately get a good skimmer- aqua c is my next upgrade.
5- You want total turnover to be 10x for a FO or FOWLR. Reef setups need 20x or more.
6- A single heater will do fine Some suggest 2 smaller heaters in case one goes out you still get heating.
7- NO lights will be fine until you move to a reef setup. When you upgrade you can do a retrofit or buy a new fixture but the bulbs dont interchange.
8- I dont use UV sterilizer and have heard mixed emotions/results. I plan to stay away for now- JMO
9- Definately a QT- Size and amount of fish will dictate QT size. I use a 10 gal with HOB filter. added a heater, PH and PVC fittings(for landscaping/hiding) and thats it.

I would recommend adding a refugium to the setup if you are able. The more water volume the more stable the setup. It will also help with nitrate reduction by using macroalgae. Good luck

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

hahah I see you made it to another forum I'm a regular on badfish! (although not as regular as Fishforums because there are a lot of pretty good people on here that give good advise so I concentrate my efforts on Fishforums) Good luck with your setup and I think we started you on the right track to a lot of success!
Old 02-27-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey fishfirst, long time no see, as you can see i have been doing my homework, this forum looks like it gets a lot more action then the other one, But i gotta say you and the other two guys have been really helful in determining what im gonna do, thanks again

Filtration: 50lbs LR.com, 60lbs sand

Swimmers: 2 O. Clowns, Yellow Watchman, Firefish, Yellow Tang, Dottyback.

Clean-Up: Several snail & hermits, Skunk Cleaner, 2 Peps.

Corals: 2 zoo colonies, yellow polyps, star polyps
badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah aquarium advice is pretty good... but sometimes your posts can get lost in the crowd... Nice job on the homework part though, its encouraging to see newbies asking lots of questions and making sure they got things right before even jumping into this hobby (I wish I had hahah)
Old 02-27-2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

so i dont need speacial lights even though i will have live rocks??

Old 02-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Theoldsalt seems to think so... I really don't know exactly if they "need" special lights... I don't have any on my 20 gal and mine are still doing fine after a year... although I did notice that I had some of my stuff die off... the algae growth is still good on it and it still looks good.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah fishfirst, i was reading more on this forum and people seem to think that speacial lighting isnt necessary for LR. That is a releif, later on when i want some coral i can upgrade, but its already overwhelming. I was also wondering how often i should do water changes if i was using a Remora skimmer? once a month, once every two months?

Old 02-27-2005, 10:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

once every two weeks... or I would test the water every week and do waterchanges as necessary
Old 02-27-2005, 10:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i can't wait to get this started, im so excited. Should i put the Liverock in right away? What about protein skimmer and powerheads?

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com