Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Saltwater newbie needs some direction...

OK...so I've got 3 different freshwater tanks (OK...so I dived into my new hobby with a little too much enthusiasm...but seriously...when you see a 20 gal with good equip for $30 in a garage sale...what's a person to do?) and I've kept them running and healthy for about a year and a half now with some success...(except for maybe what shall heretofore be known as the "Kribensis breeding crisis"...note: Kribs are some horny, prolific, little boogers).
So now...I want to try my hand at a marine tank....nothing huge...maybe a 10 gal with a couple of fish in it....just to see how it goes. Where should I start reading? All tips, instructions, links etc. welcome....I've gotten such great info from here in the past it seemed a natural place to start my research.

NickyPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Tbh I think 10gal is too small for a newbie, even someone that has kept freshwater before, I have a 30gal (42 US) that is quite "challenging" to keep stable, smaller than 30gal are considered Nano's & more expert level.

Cheers Shelton.

30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
With the tank, it is better to do as big as you can, more stable. You can do a 10 gallon, it's just a bit more upkeep (you really have to be on it). Also I think most fish would apprechiate atleast a 30 gallon. You could get a couple clowns and a few other fish. Marine fish require more room I think. My son has a 15 gallon FW with 5 fish in it, I wouldn't be able to do it in a sw tank Also, the library on this homepage has some really good books, I have not personally read them, but thinking of buying a few myself for corals. So I will let someone else help you with the book question.

Alex n Mary

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 05:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
There is lots of good stuff in the articles section. For books try the concientous marine aquarist by robert fenner. lots more info can be found using the search feature on this site. for a first timer, I would shoot for a 40 to 55 gal tank to start. Look in want adds, or e bay for good deals.
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 01:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Paletta's New Marine Aquarium is a good starter book, too. I'll third . . . fourth . . . whatever the "bigger is better" tank idea. When it comes to SW, there are a lot of parameters to keep an eye on and things can go south in a 10 gallon really, really fast. A bigger tank gives you more room to mess up (and I think just about everyone messes up at first).

Two things:

1) This costs a lotta lotta more than FW.
2) There's a saying around here: "Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank." Patience is key. There are people on here who run their tanks with no fish for 6 months to get a good start--they're the extreme, but there is a lot of "hurry up and wait" in SW.
75-gallon SW tank with 29-gallon sump
Euroreef ES5-3
2x Maxijet powerheads
Mag drive 9 return
Coralife 4x65 Lunar Aqualight
120 lbs rock from liverocks.com
1 peppermint shrimp and 1 fire shrimp (very shy)
2 black Ocellaris, Squish and Smudge
3 chromis, too identical to name as yet, in QT
10-gallon tropical
29-gallon with two goldies, Carrot and Orangehead
blorkiemom is offline   Reply With Quote

direction, salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com