Saltwater prep - do I need RO/DI?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
I understand the concept of why it's best to use RO/DI, but I'm not at a place where I can afford $150 to buy a whole brand new unit and fwiw, I feel like going to the LFS to buy pre-made water is going to be just as expensive over time.

Can I use tapwater treated with prime and let it sit for a day?

Also I'm confused about when I need to add the salt mixture water vs. topping off with regular water.

If there's salt in the water already, and I do a water change, then add more salt water to it - I've increased the concentration/salinity, right?

So how do I mix proper amounts to avoid just making a complete salt solution?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, :hide: I'm brand new to SW and have been researching for a week and everything tells me to just go buy an expensive RO/DI unit :(
Nothing I've found has addressed the concentration question.

Please help?!?!

get a refractometer... this will tell you the salt level in your aquarium and your salt level in your salt water mix for your water change. if your salt level is good in your aquarium just mix your water change water at the same level and you will be fine. there is instructions on the salt mixes. BUT when you top off your tank you want to top off with ro/di water only. Do not top off with salt water because this will increase your salt level over time since salt won't evaporate.

In my opinion, a ro/di unit is a must. It will pay for itself in a very short time. They are on ebay or from purewaterclub for as low as $65. when you do a water change, you take out saltwater and replace with saltwater. When you are topping off, you replace with ro/di water. Topping of is to replace water that has evaporated, the salt doesnt evaporate.

janky said:
I understand the concept of why it's best to use RO/DI, but I'm not at a place where I can afford $150 to buy a whole brand new unit and fwiw, I feel like going to the LFS to buy pre-made water is going to be just as expensive over time.

Can I use tapwater treated with prime and let it sit for a day?

Also I'm confused about when I need to add the salt mixture water vs. topping off with regular water.

If there's salt in the water already, and I do a water change, then add more salt water to it - I've increased the concentration/salinity, right?

So how do I mix proper amounts to avoid just making a complete salt solution?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, :hide: I'm brand new to SW and have been researching for a week and everything tells me to just go buy an expensive RO/DI unit :(
Nothing I've found has addressed the concentration question.

Please help?!?!

Hi janky,

Basically you have to use Rodi, there is no way around it. Now, you can either buy the system or buy it weekly or whenever it is needed from the lfs, as you already know. I see the only thing holding you back from buying the system is the price. There is a great rodi system on ebay, 60 dollars, works perfectly, 100gpd. Thats what you want IMO.

No...never use tap even if it is really clean, distilled, treated, or whatever.

When you do a waterchange you want to take out the same amout as you put in. That will keep your salinity the same. Likewise, if you want to raise the salinity just add more and take out less.

Not sure what you mean. There is no "complete solution." just make the salinity what you want it, using a refractometer of course.

These are good questions though!

I just want to add, topoffs are very important. Whenever the water level is dipping is because rodi is evaporation-not salt. Replace this rodi whenever the level dips, even slightly

Wow...took me so long to type that all people already responded!:'( lol sorry

Ok. $60 I can handle... I'll have to look on ebay. Is there a brand or something I should be searching for?

Also, the topping off makes sense, as salt doesn't evaporate. I guess my question was more directed at trying to understand how adding salt + water to salt + water does not increase the concentration of salt - but I'm probably just over thinking it.
Stupid college chemistry classes :lol:

I have a hydrometer and a 6 gal nano that I literally just set up. I'm letting it cycle so I won't be water changing for a while.
Oddly enough, everytime I test the water (premade from the lfs) it doesn't seem to really "read" - it just floats the needle all the way up to the water level.

I'm kinda confused there. Either the premade stuff is off the charts with salinity, or my hydrometer sucks ($13 one from Petco)

Hydrometers do suck! They are not as accurate as a refractometer. You can also get them on ebay for about $30. With the hydrometer, make sure there are no bubbles on the swingarm, they will make it float and be innaccurate. I think you should be able to flick it with your finger to make sure the bubbles are off the arm.

carey,

I am considering this ro/di unit also. I have a quick question however, what prompted you to upgrade from this unit?

sim1killa said:
carey,

I am considering this ro/di unit also. I have a quick question however, what prompted you to upgrade from this unit?

I have the same thing, and im guessing since it is only 100 gpd, and carey has alot of tanks!!

Actually, I upgraded cause I wanted a more permanent water making station. The ebay one actually makes water twice as fast as the BRS one that I paid $180 for. LOL

Both units produce pure water which is all that counts. :) I also wnated a cheaper unit to make sure I could understand how it all worked before dropping a boatload of money.

carey said:
Actually, I upgraded cause I wanted a more permanent water making station. The ebay one actually makes water twice as fast as the BRS one that I paid $180 for. LOL

Both units produce pure water which is all that counts. :) I also wnated a cheaper unit to make sure I could understand how it all worked before dropping a boatload of money.

The BRS ro is only 50 gpd?? Man! Your making water 24/7 arent you?

Yep, it takes about 14 hours to fill one of my 32g cans. lol and I have 2 of them to keep full. The ebay unit was really nice like that, I got about 5g an hour now I get about 2. something and hour.

janky said:
Wow......I can live with $66.
Does it come with everything I need to get started? no extra pieces I have to purchase?

This looks legit. I may just pick this up... thank you!

Ready to go, unless you have odd faucet sizes. If so, 5 dollars extra for the adaptor.

It is definitly legit

Sweeet!

So then I have another question since everyone's been so helpful about all this...
Do I need live sand? I know most SW people tend to use it, but I have tons of sand left over from FW (unused) and that's what I put in the nano (with some crushed coral).

I just feel weird buying more sand when I have a home depot bucket full of it lol

janky said:
Sweeet!

So then I have another question since everyone's been so helpful about all this...
Do I need live sand? I know most SW people tend to use it, but I have tons of sand left over from FW (unused) and that's what I put in the nano (with some crushed coral).

I just feel weird buying more sand when I have a home depot bucket full of it lol

I never use live sand, i and most here dont believe in it. Use the sand you have!:)

Yeah, live sand is nothing but a waste of money, use your sand and just get a few cups of live sand from your LFS or a buddy if ya wanna speed up the process.

The only negative about the ebay RODI unit, is you'll prob wanna upgrade the sediment filters sooner than later. That will save the life of the RO membrane which is probably the reason why Carey has a drop in her GPH. I'd get new filters from bulkreefsupply and while at it get a refillable DI cartridge and resin. That should cost ya about $35 so you can budget it in 6 months or so!

TDS meter is really a must though, should be about $25

I never use live sand, i and most here dont believe in it. Use the sand you have!:)

Awesome.. the only purpose seemed like speeding up the cycle, but I'm not worried about that because I have some bacteria in a bottle and will feed the tank every now and then. (Don't laugh, the bacteria in a bottle worked GREAT on my FW aquariums! Cycled in a couple weeks!)

Yeah, live sand is nothing but a waste of money, use your sand and just get a few cups of live sand from your LFS or a buddy if ya wanna speed up the process.

The only negative about the ebay RODI unit, is you'll prob wanna upgrade the sediment filters sooner than later. That will save the life of the RO membrane which is probably the reason why Carey has a drop in her GPH. I'd get new filters from bulkreefsupply and while at it get a refillable DI cartridge and resin. That should cost ya about $35 so you can budget it in 6 months or so!

TDS meter is really a must though, should be about $25

Cool. I can handle that! :) Thanks for the info..

Awesome.. the only purpose seemed like speeding up the cycle, but I'm not worried about that because I have some bacteria in a bottle and will feed the tank every now and then. (Don't laugh, the bacteria in a bottle worked GREAT on my FW aquariums! Cycled in a couple weeks!)

Cool. I can handle that! :) Thanks for the info..

no worries bro. One of the best things ya can do when running a reef is to create a yearly budget.
lights need changed
filters
food
etc.
That way ya can spread out the costs of owning a tank.

Back
Top Bottom