Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Saltwater questions?

I've only been in the fish hobby for about 6 months. Freshwater only. I love marine fish. But I have a few questions.

Can I have a marine tank and run it just like a fresh water tank? Same filters that kind of thing?

Do I need live rock and live sand? I know they are for biofiltration. Or could I do just live rock and another substrate?

Is upkeep expensive? Do I need a lot of additives and that sort of thing?
I'm asking these questions because I don't have a lot of money and freshwater is pretty cheap as far as upkeep.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Can anyone help me out?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

On my way out the door but I will get back to you tonight and help you out.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

depends on how big your tank is.salt is the only thing you will really have to add on your water changes.i have a 75 gallon and i change it every two weeks.so thats only 4 cups of salt for 8 gallons.a jug of salt cost me $23.00 so its not too bad.test kit is around $25.00 and will last a long time.you will need a thing to test your salt levels,i forgot the name but they dont cost much either.if you already have a fresh set up you probably already have a heater.my filters are $12.00 amonth.it all depends on the size of your tank
Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the answers. What is a cheaper substrate than live sand that will work well? Do I have to use R/O water? Or can I use my well water?
Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I forgot to mention my tank is a 46 gal. Bow front. Can I use the hob filter I already have?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dont use well water,better to get a RO/DI unit or buy water. you can use your hob but you'll need to add a power head to increase flow. is this goin to be a FOWLR? or will you be adding corals? Coral will need upgraded lights. Lot of people use play sand, live sand is a ripoff IMO There's a few stickies at the top of this forum you may want to start there as there's tons of info

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz
Dont use well water,better to get a RO/DI unit or buy water. you can use your hob but you'll need to add a power head to increase flow. is this goin to be a FOWLR? or will you be adding corals? Coral will need upgraded lights. Lot of people use play sand, live sand is a ripoff IMO There's a few stickies at the top of this forum you may want to start there as there's tons of info
Thanks a lot. It would be a FOWLR for sure. I would love to have a reef but I dot have a lot of money. Dont want to shell out the cash for lighting that would be good enough to support corals.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxdaddy
Thanks for the answers. What is a cheaper substrate than live sand that will work well? Do I have to use R/O water? Or can I use my well water?
I used pool filter sand that I bought from my local pool store. I cleaned it very good and stuck it in. I have had no problems at all. It cost me $10 for 50 lb and that was plenty for my 75 gal.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've also read that I can get some live rock use other rocks and the live rock will seed the other. What kind of rock would I use for that. Trying to get away with not spending a fortune on all live rock.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com