Saltwater Refractometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was looking at the Milwaukee Seawater Digital Refractometer and it looks really nice. I am just getting into saltwater aquariums and have a 90 gallon and 29 gallon take. How often would I be using this tool? Wandering if I can justify spending the money.

I was looking at the Milwaukee Seawater Digital Refractometer and it looks really nice. I am just getting into saltwater aquariums and have a 90 gallon and 29 gallon take. How often would I be using this tool? Wandering if I can justify spending the money.

Those things are great... I've heard loads of good reviews.

And about refractometers in general, it's worth it. Period. Testing and maintaining an extremely stable SG in SW and in particular reefs is critical. I'd say I use my refractometer every day on average pm and when I'm mixing salt every week is use it a ton.

If you want to save a little money, you could look at a traditional refractometer which is only about $25 and very accurate. However, the Milwaukee will be more effective, accurate, and efficient, plus it'll last a lot longer.

I have one of these and LOVE it. I've never even had to re-calibrate it, though I have tested before re-calibrating and tested again...it has always been spot on.

It's definitely worth it. Those cheap hydrometer things are really inaccurate. You should use it anytime you are checking your parameters. It's worth the investment if you are going salt. I got mine at a local LFS for about $70

Back
Top Bottom