Saltwater Sand: is what I have ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelli

Aquarium Advice Regular
We were given the gift of sand this morning. I received 100lbs of pool filter grade silica sand in 2-50lb bags and we were wondering if this is the sand that is ok for saltwater tanks. We only have crushed coral and live rock in our tank, we want to layer in sand, of course until it settles, but is this the right kind? Someone please let us know soon. I will not put it in there until you guys give it the ok. Thanks so much!!

It will be alright, but it might increase algae (I'm not positive) and will not help with buffering.

Kim

I simply need to know if it's safe. I can happily deal with more algae, I just can't live with more dead fish. (The hurricanes got us, twice) Thanks, Little puff.

chelli, if you have the money to buy some aragonite based sand I would. Every bit of help is welcome in this hobby. However the silica is perfectly fine, but aragonite is always better.

It's safe, but I'd recommend purchasing argonite and using that instead. It's natural and will grow beneficial bacteria.

KG

Back
Top Bottom