Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2003, 01:02 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

saltwater shelflife

o.k., there are no stupid questions but....

how long does saltwater stay good for? i currently purchase mine from lfs. one salesperson said 2 days inside the house the other said indefinately outside. what gives?

Old 07-31-2003, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think it should be good indefinately as long as you keep it moving and aerated via a powerhead or airstone. I would also not have it exposed to any light while in storage. Some people say that it will be good even if you let is sit for a while and then start circluating/aerating before you use it. HTH. And I hope I'm right. I usually feel silly when RR or FF have to come in behind me and sweep up my misinformations.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

so you have to keep it circulating? no one bothered to tell me THAT. it's a good thing i have you guys! thanks alot!
Old 07-31-2003, 06:42 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

You don't have to keep it circulating. If your going to store your SW, I recommend a cool dark place like a closet, just make sure when you're ready to use it, you aerate it for several hours and adjust the SG to compensate for any evaporation. At any rate, following those procedures, you can store it indefinitely

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
This is good to know. I make my water about 4 or 5 days before I plan a water change.

Can you explain the importance of the airation? I know it is important, but what exactly is the airation doing for the water? Mixing it up?

I only add 5 gallons each water change - couldn't I just pick up the 5 gallon jug and shake it for a few moments?

I'm asking because I'm going to go out and invest in a little air pump and air stone today after work, and I know the "Better-Half" will want me to explain to her EXACTLY what it is for!

Thanks,
Todd
Old 07-31-2003, 04:53 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Can you explain the importance of the airation? I know it is important, but what exactly is the airation doing for the water? Mixing it up?
The aeration is mixing the salt and bringing the O2 level up to saturation. If the SW is loaded with CO2 and has little O2 the PH will be very low and the swing that causes when it is introduced to your tank could be very harmful to your fish and inverts

Quote:
I only add 5 gallons each water change - couldn't I just pick up the 5 gallon jug and shake it for a few moments?
If you shake it up, it will not mix O2 into the water, unless it is open, but if it's open and you shake it up....your gonna get wet

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com