Saltwater Startup Advice Plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joe5688 said:
when did u check the Ph? Apparently if the lights are off and u test before they come on the Ph will be a little lower. Check after they have been on for a while.

Correct this is because the algae in the tank has by yet begun the photosynthesis , this will raise your Ph , it is best to check you Ph after you lights have been on for quite a while or even before you shut them off , some people that use a refuge under the tank will have opposite night/day cycles this will make the Ph in the tank more consistent even at night when the DT lights are off

Newfiereefer said:
Correct this is because the algae in the tank has by yet begun the photosynthesis , this will raise your Ph , it is best to check you Ph after you lights have been on for quite a while or even before you shut them off , some people that use a refuge under the tank will have opposite night/day cycles this will make the Ph in the tank more consistent even at night when the DT lights are off

Ok so how long each day should my light be on? BC on my 55gal when I used to keep it on alot it developed alot of algae and I had to only turn on the light for an hour a day for like 2 weeks to get it to settle down... also I can't find my brittle seastar anymore :(

My light s are on 6 hours a day. . . Usually the norm its between 6 & 8 depending on your contents. I have several brittle sea stars and every one of them hide in the rocks and all you will see is their arms sticking out to grab particles.

200 gallon reef said:
My light s are on 6 hours a day. . . Usually the norm its between 6 & 8 depending on your contents. I have several brittle sea stars and every one of them hide in the rocks and all you will see is their arms sticking out to grab particles.

Haha ok ill try to regulate my light around those parameters... I hope he didn't die lol he must just be shy...

two things:

1. Dont worry about the ph during the cycle. It will vary alot while the cycle is going.
2. Dont want lights on during the cycle, it will just promote algae growth.

Back
Top Bottom