Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Saltwater tank i need answers !!!!!

saltwater fish onlt tank 72 gallon, on end of cycle 6th week. temp 77 and amonia and nitrites are at o level. why are all fish dying except the cleaner shrimp ? just did a 40gal water change and added a tomato clown and two blue damsels ,one and a half days later two damsels dead and clown hovering near the top of tnk. cleaner doing ok i used too much prime maybe before he 40 gal change ? and i used nitro max to help cycle the tank faster. i think i used too much of that also but not sure why fishes are not making it when all my water tested are good ?what do you think????

housebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
What test kits are you using?

tjm80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
You might wanna stop adding fish until you finish your cycle.

What are your nitrate levels?
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are a number of factors that could be causing this. More than likely, it is related to the water parameters. I recommend that you take all fish/inverts back to the store and read up on fishless cycling. Stop adding so many chemicals and additives since they just make you tank unstable. Rule of thumb is to not add anything that you can't test for. As tjm is getting at, post what your kits are, test strips are unreliable. Please post your water parameters each time you have a problem in your tank. Tap water could also be a factor here.
Any questions? Feel free to PM me.
Hitchhikers on live rock? http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote

salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com