Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Saltwater tank in mobile homes

I live a mobile Home, I was thinking about getting in this hobby and thinking would the floors be able to hold the weight of a saltwater tank?? I was think of starting with a 55g or a 75g. Then one day maybe a 125g.. And I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont know much about mobile homes but I wanted a thirty gallon in my room and it was going to be 350+ lbs in my room. Just remember its a lot of wait in sw because of the live rock and sand, not to mention the water lol.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi, I have actually been thinking a lot about this subject recently!!! You will need to look at the build specification of the mobile home and you may need to consider re-enforcing the area. I have a 125g reef. With my solid oak stand, hood, rock, gravel, filter etc and water... I believe it weighs in around a ton! the last thing you would want is any disasters because salt water is extremely damaging!
Old 09-23-2011, 08:57 AM   #4

I know that the area that I what to put the tank is where the two halfs of the trailer come together, there looks to be a I beam there. Where would I go to get the specs on the floor or would it be better to get a engineer to look..
Old 09-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

The manufacturers of your mobile home should be able to advise you but the only apparent alternative is what you have already suggested, have an engineer take a look.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your spec should tell you. Check to see how far apart you floor braces are. Higher quality mf homes are set closer where others are much wider. You can pull back the skirting and look underneath the lining and probably see. Also check to see what type of flooring you have. Pressed wood vs plywood or other types. Pressed wood will not hold a tank unless you have close support beams you can place a tank where it rests on the most beams possible. Main thing is locate your supports and place the tank based on that. Also 2x6 support is better than 2x4
Old 12-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #7

What are the avg weight of saltwater tanks that is 75gals? Plus stand, lr, sump etc.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remsset
What are the avg weight of saltwater tanks that is 75gals? Plus stand, lr, sump etc.
It can be around 1200lbs.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remsset View Post
I know that the area that I what to put the tank is where the two halfs of the trailer come together, there looks to be a I beam there. Where would I go to get the specs on the floor or would it be better to get a engineer to look..

If your house is put together in two halves, then what you actually have is a modular home. They are actually made to be placed on a foundation like a normal home so they have basically the same structure. Your floor will be fine if that's the case. I've had a 75 gal w/ 30 gal sump in the same spot your talking about for over a year (it was a 55gal a year before that) and it's fine. Now if your going up to a 125+, then I would be a little more cautious and maybe go under the house and add some support for it.

-Chuck
Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 AM   #10

The mobile home is sitiing on blocks.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com