Saltwater tank in mobile homes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Remsset

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live a mobile Home, I was thinking about getting in this hobby and thinking would the floors be able to hold the weight of a saltwater tank?? I was think of starting with a 55g or a 75g. Then one day maybe a 125g.. And I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong forum.

I dont know much about mobile homes but I wanted a thirty gallon in my room and it was going to be 350+ lbs in my room. Just remember its a lot of wait in sw because of the live rock and sand, not to mention the water lol.

Hi, I have actually been thinking a lot about this subject recently!!! You will need to look at the build specification of the mobile home and you may need to consider re-enforcing the area. I have a 125g reef. With my solid oak stand, hood, rock, gravel, filter etc and water... I believe it weighs in around a ton! the last thing you would want is any disasters because salt water is extremely damaging!

I know that the area that I what to put the tank is where the two halfs of the trailer come together, there looks to be a I beam there. Where would I go to get the specs on the floor or would it be better to get a engineer to look..

The manufacturers of your mobile home should be able to advise you but the only apparent alternative is what you have already suggested, have an engineer take a look.

Your spec should tell you. Check to see how far apart you floor braces are. Higher quality mf homes are set closer where others are much wider. You can pull back the skirting and look underneath the lining and probably see. Also check to see what type of flooring you have. Pressed wood vs plywood or other types. Pressed wood will not hold a tank unless you have close support beams you can place a tank where it rests on the most beams possible. Main thing is locate your supports and place the tank based on that. Also 2x6 support is better than 2x4

What are the avg weight of saltwater tanks that is 75gals? Plus stand, lr, sump etc.

I know that the area that I what to put the tank is where the two halfs of the trailer come together, there looks to be a I beam there. Where would I go to get the specs on the floor or would it be better to get a engineer to look..

If your house is put together in two halves, then what you actually have is a modular home. They are actually made to be placed on a foundation like a normal home so they have basically the same structure. Your floor will be fine if that's the case. I've had a 75 gal w/ 30 gal sump in the same spot your talking about for over a year (it was a 55gal a year before that) and it's fine. Now if your going up to a 125+, then I would be a little more cautious and maybe go under the house and add some support for it.

Can you get underneath and have a look around? You should see some steel support beams and then that will tell you where is the best place to put a large aquarium. There shouldn't be a problem with anything under a 75 gallon aquarium but if you are concerned I know someone that upgraded to a 210 tank I bought several corals from her Saltwater Corals I am pretty sure it was a modular home or possibly a double wide. I haven't seen this particular tank but the other one was on an outside wall.

Back
Top Bottom