Saltwater tank setup help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marine4life

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there, i decided to do saltwater setup once again. I had a saltwater setup 8yrs ago for 6month then due to health issue i quit. Now im planning to setup my 550litre tank to saltwater.
Now I have 10 kilo dead rock which was live when i had my setup plus 40 kilo coral sand again it was live when i had my setup. These both item has been used in my malawi tank afterwards.
Now question time lol.
1: Can i use them in my new saltwater setup?
2: can i use ocean rock? (have 25kg)

I was thinking to buy about 10kilo live rock to start off to mix with my dead rock and ocean rock. Help me please with a answer.

One more thing my return pump from sump send back to the tank just over 3500Lph and i have a 6000LPH wave maker plus two powerhead that does 1000LPH each and a protein skimmer which is gonna be in my sump does 1500LPH. Is thats enough flow for a 550 litre tank.
Oh by the way my sump volume is 200litre. But use only 100litre and 100is left empty for power-cut situation. So the water doesn't end up on my livingroon floor!

Haha I would be willing to help but im from America so I have no idea how many liters are in a gallon so you'll hav to help me with that, I know there are 2.2 pounds in a kilogram though

You can use your old rock and sand just be sure to rinse them very well. As for the ocean rock is it live? if so it may have unwanted things in/on it.

Flow looks like your power heads will be enough if not you can always upgrade/add You don't want any dead spots in your tank where detritus can settle

If the rocks are washed very well i don't see why you couldnt use them. :)

As far as flow you should be ok where you are. Unless you go to a reef tank then you might wanna add an extra powerhead for the corals. :)

If I remember correctly, ocean rock is sometimes the term used for macro rock in GB. Is this correct? I gave my input on a similar situation and I thought he was taking rock straight from the coast or something. Either way, a good rinsing and scrubbing and you can easily use the rock in your new setup. Everything else was answered by Carey, she's faster at posting than I am lol.

Thanks to both of you. I dont intend to do corals as lighting will be expensive. I run a fishroom which is already costing me 40 pound electricity every week so using 500w halide will make my bill go off the roof!
Anyway im gonna buy some live coral sand to go with my old ones. Do i add them few days later i start the cycling or at the same time?

Don't buy the bagged live sand, waste of money. How long would you last sitting on a shelf wrapped in plastic :oops: Better to get a cup from an up and running system Add it when you start your cycle.

Grizz said:
Don't buy the bagged live sand, waste of money. How long would you last sitting on a shelf wrapped in plastic :oops: Better to get a cup from an up and running system Add it when you start your cycle.

I just bought live sand a couple weeks ago and it was loaded with life. Tonnes of pods and stuff so it does last hence the expiration date on the bag. That being said it was pricey and I would suggest getting a cup from an established tank.

Back
Top Bottom