Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2004, 07:00 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingonhot
dummies thing for 8 bucks........
so when i ever get a ride and get a load of money walla!
I hope you didn't mean that $8 is a load of money. To setup a 10g reef the initial cost will be around $300+ and that doesn't include the cost of live stock. But you can buy used equipment and stuff to save you some money.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:41 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiden
and you need to be starting with an absolute minimum of 30 gal for your first SW tank.
Sounds like something a LFS would say to a newbie to get them to spend more on a bigger tank.

There is really no minium or maximun tank size that a begginer should start with. Smaller the tank size the more difficult it is to maintain and to have stable water quality . There is less room for errors due to less volume of water of smaller tanks.

If you read, research, have patience, and a little bit of money you can be successful in this hobby even if you never done saltwater before.

klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:24 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
sorry klam i meant the book is eight and once i get a load of money i can get the equipment and stuff... and i was thinking of having a small 10 gal. for crying out loud 30 smallest? ive seen 1 gallon tanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 11:05 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Because saltwater fish have a much lower tollerance for poor water conditions, it is very important to avoid large swings in the water conditions. It is much, much easier to keep large tanks stable. because of this, most people do not recommend anything less than a 55 gallon for beginners. However, if you are dedicated, you could get away with something as small as a 30 gallon tank.

10 gallon tanks are known as "nano reefs" and not recommended for first time SW aquarists. Also, you can only fit about 2 inches of fish in a ten gallon tank. This means your options are extremly limited. ( one damsel, chromi, or one clown.)

Salt water fish need alot more room then freshwater fish do.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I swear I saw Big Al's up for sale on Ebay about a month ago
Remora Aqua C Protein Skimmer
2 Percula Clowns
1 Orange Spotted Watchman Goby
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp
1 Fire Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
5 Emerald crabs
10 Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
10 Turbo Snails
10 Astraea Conehead Snails
Mr Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
It's not me, or an LFS saying 30 gal minimum... It's Mr. Fenner.

This guy is going to kill a bunch of fish.

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
sorry klam i meant the book is eight and once i get a load of money i can get the equipment and stuff... and i was thinking of having a small 10 gal. for crying out loud 30 smallest? ive seen 1 gallon tanks!
You can do a 10g tank, however it takes a lot more work and planning to do so properly. As stated many times, the smaller tanks are more likely to experience flucuations. I am doing a 10g tank, and will be moving everything into a 15g in a couple weeks. The tank is going into a baby room, otherwise I would have got something bigger.

Here is some original planning I did for my 10g:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...650&highlight=

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 01:44 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Crabs
I swear I saw Big Al's up for sale on Ebay about a month ago
um...I don't think they would sell a world famous strip club on Ebay.

At least without my knowing about it.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You are not going to get far with that kind of attitude.If you think $30 for a book is alot,I have 5 tank setups,all with expensive wet dry filters and protein skimmers.And I am just a kid.So you are going to have to get use to spending hundreds of dollars.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:17 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to balasharkfreak Send a message via Yahoo to balasharkfreak
LOL Rocket,

I think Mr Crabs was referring to Big Al's Fish Store (of Canada) beign sold on eBay, not Big Al's Strip Club of Peoria, IL.

2 Bala Sharks | 1 Aeneus Cory
3 Danios | 2 Platys

25g - planted
1 Leoporinus | 1 Rainbow | 1 Silver Molly
1 Gold Dojo loach | 1 Kuhli loach
1 Black Kuhli loach
1 Singapore shrimp | 1 Amano shrimp
1 Albino Cory | 1 Peppered Cory
1 Gold snai | 1 Black Racer snail

30g (empty - possible cichlid planted)
balasharkfreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tanks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com