Saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah..... okay i bought the saltwater aquariums for dummies and it was worth the 25 bucks! ive already read it like 4 times and its very helpfu.thanks for telling me about that people

im figured out what i need and the current cost is about 130 bucks
im planning on just one common clownfish but do you think over time i could have two or would one be enough?

and stop with the 'go buy a betta' or something it really bugs me when people tell me that kinda stuff

yhe reason why i didnt want to spend 30 bucks on a boook is because thats six weeks of my allowance or me baby sitting 3 times.......

Good to hear you found the book helpful!

Why don't you give us an update of what your plans are now that you've read the book? That will help us tell you if 1 or 2 clowns will be ok for you. The only thing we can say generally, is that it is usually better to add the fish at the same time otherwise the first fish might start to see the tank as it's teritory and may become agressive to another fish added later.

And I agree... we should NOT be telling you to go buy a betta. We're here to help people that are new to the hobby, not discourage them. But You also have to keep in mind that this can be expensive. So before you start spending your hard earned money you need to let us help you go all the way through your plan, from setting up the tank all the way to what it will cost you to keep the tank running and healthy for the rest of your fishes lives (which will be a number of years if you keep them healthy and happy!)

So let us hear your new plan and we'll help anyway we can!

and you can totally do a 10g for your first tank, thats what i did and everything went ok, i just got bitten by MTS and had to upgrade and expand. just make sure you take your time with everything! slower is much better, youll be so happy in the end.

and i understand about wanting to not spend a ton of money, i dont have a lot of money to be throwing around either- im young and in college, so i totally feel you. i think that its great that young people are getting involved in SW.

so have you looked into LR or LS? any ideas on livestock outside the clowns? and which clown were you planning on? im a big fan of ocellaris clowns, they are hardy and very friendly. i think if you have the proper filtration, including LR, you could absolutly get away with having two small clowns in a 10g.

i would also suggest online shopping and ebay since your on a budget. you can get really good deals at online retailers, and also from reputable dealers on ebay.

cant wait to hear more about your plans!

HTH

okay i just call the clowns common because ive seen about twenty names for it and i like common the best :D it is a 10 gal with tahitian moon sand and 2 plastic plants right noiw, planning on couple pounds of lr with two clowns and if cheap a little anonome or hermit crab or if they stay small a arrow crab sorry i posted late

my grades went down and my mom grounded me for 2 weeks and said i couldnt start one if my grades were bad so i raised them :D

and if cheap a little anonome

the lighting requirements for an anemone are extensive, much more expensive than the budget you mention allows. As a suggestion, other ways to get books to read would be get a list of books that are helpful, take them to your local public library and they can send to the state library for a loan of the book for you if they do not have it. Beyond that, you can stay busy for YEARS reading the materials available online that are covered in all the books. Education does not have to be expensive, but I guarantee you, not educating yourself first, will be VERY expensive. Both in dollars and in wasted life.

Definately have to agree with everybody. I've spent about 3 weeks researching about all of this and have just started to buy stuff for my setup. If you want a free lesson on all of this that's put together for you in a nice package, go to [www.saltaquarium.about.com]. You can sign up for an e-mail "class". They'll send you a e-mail everyday for 7 days that will cover just about everything. It's free, but I found that I still needed to buy a good book to clear some things up. But atleast you get a good idea if this is for you or not.[/url]

anemones also require a tank which is at least a year old and very stable, so perhaps you can look into one in the future when $$ allows for a lighting upgrade. what kind of light do you have on there now? they do sell replicas which are really lifelike and are made out of plastic resin, the clowns will often even host it like a real anemone.

youll probably need that hermit crab, maybe a couple ( i like the blue leg variety- cheap and effective) for stirring up the sand and keeping the sand clean. you will probably end up needing snails too for algae control, turbo snais and nassisarus snais are both good choices and dont cost more than like a buck or two a pop.

good job on bringing up the grades :) keep us updated and keep researching, there is always something new to learn...

okay people instead of saying a 50 line thing on how expensive stuff is say it needs expensive lighting. thanks

i went to about a while ago and i still have the stuff but it really didnt help me...

yesterday i went to a store that had about 50 saltwater tanks.bunch of 5 and 10s with baby fish one 200 gal and a 100 gal tank it was so awesome!'
i really liked the mandarinfish but it was kinda big and i know that they are very hard to keep...

i finally added ssalt and it measured out to 1.014 so i nedd to buy another thing of salt.

im not really planning on an anonome really.i was just seeing if everybody says is true

and im going to stop typing right now because im bored

flamingonhot said:
okay people instead of saying a 50 line thing on how expensive stuff is say it needs expensive lighting. thanks

sorry, we are just trying to help by giving you as much information as we can.

Mandrins, in my opinion, should be left in the ocean. Its one of these fish that are very beautiful, but ultimatly die in 98% of the aquariums in which they are placed.

The problem is that they are VERY specific in what they eat. They will only eat copopods, which are little bug-like creatures that live in Live Rock. It takes a large pod population to sustain one Mandrin. Minimum tank requirements are in the 100-150 gallon area with at least 100 lbs of Live rock and the tank needs to be quite mature so that an established copopod population can be sustained.

okay people instead of saying a 50 line thing on how expensive stuff is say it needs expensive lighting

You would not learn anything if no explanations came with it.

im not really planning on an anonome really.i was just seeing if everybody says is true

o......k......

I'm new to saltwater and still planning a tank. I'm doing a 90gal with live sand and live rock. A good book IMHO is The Conscientious Marine Aquarist. I haven't bought a single thing yet, but when the fish are that expensive, I want to do it right the first time.

Kim

sounds to me like someone has an attitude and maybe a lack of attention span "I'm going to stop typing now because I'm bored" what happens when your fish become boring?

Lindsikins00 said:
consider a fake Anemone too. My clown likes his a lot, and when I feed shrimp, he will takes pieces of shrimp and feeds his Anemone.

Awww...the poor clown...

thats so cute. I take it you have a wild-caught clown?

Back
Top Bottom