Saltwater water quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daylilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tested my water today could someone tell me if these numbers are ok? If not how and what should I do to get them right. I just did a water change yesterday. About 4 gallons.

Nitrate 40 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Alkanlity 300 ( kh ) pmm
Ph 7.8

I'm using jungle 6 in one quick dip strips

If there is something better out there to test water please do suggest
Thanks!

I have upgraded to a 75 gallon now. I don't know how to change it in my profile.

I would use chemical test like API water test. Strips are so unreliable. How long has your tank been set up.

I tested my water today could someone tell me if these numbers are ok? If not how and what should I do to get them right. I just did a water change yesterday. About 4 gallons.

Nitrate 40 ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Alkanlity 300 ( kh ) pmm
Ph 7.8

I'm using jungle 6 in one quick dip strips

If there is something better out there to test water please do suggest
Thanks!

I have upgraded to a 75 gallon now. I don't know how to change it in my profile.

Woah. Your Nitrates and Phos are pretty high for a 75g. We need some more information before you can get help.

Here's a couple questions to start off with.

Water change schedule?
How often are you feeding and how much?
What do you have livestock wise?
Are you using RO/DI water?
What are you using for filtration?

I'm feeding them once a day. It's up for about 2 months now I had upgraded my 29 gallon. I had my 29 for almost a year. I have a aquaclear 110 filter. I have updated my livestock and info in my profile.
I will be getting a skimmer soon. Just looking at which one to get. Is my live stock too much? Should I do another water change? I do a water change weekly.

Please help.

Attachments

• image-4238326637.jpg
    image-4238326637.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 131
That aquaclear will not be able to handle your bioload. How often do you change out the media in that?

I would keep up with the water changes until you can come up with an alternative. I would suggest getting an overflow, sump and a decent skimmer to go along with it.

How much are you feeding daily?

Also, are all of your fish accounted for? Even dead snails can cause your water quality to go out of whack.

Would you know about how many gallons is 10 to 15% for. 75 gallon? Thanks

Sorry...missed the 4 gallon thing. 10-15 gallon is good till you get your nitrates/phosphates down. Then tone it down to just 10. But you still have to pinpoint what is causing those numbers.

Could it be the flow? I have two korlia 4 but just running one at the moment cause it seems to much flow and the fishes stay on one side. Could I be feeding too much at one time? Maybe I'll cut down and see if that makes a difference. I'll also do a water change tomorrow and then check the numbers. I saw one dead crab not sure if it's a molt or a dead one. Could that be it? It says PH should be 8.2 and mine is 7. Whatever...so how do I fix that?

7.8 isn't too bad plus it depends on what time you do the test,the ph is lower in the morning because of no lights overnight,I would do between 7.5 -10 g water change but more if you can 30% would be better,How often do you clean your filter,this could be part of your problem as well as no skimmer,skimmer is essential on this size tank without a sump.if you can i would get a sump under your tank even if its just an old 20g tank with a skimmer and some more Live rock in it.But again nitrate of 40 isn't that bad for a fish only tank but 20 would be better,you could just do a 50 % pwc to get the nitrate right downn quickly

Thanks David. I won't be able to have a sump cause my stand has no room for that under. I'm gonna look into getting a skimmer and do a water change and see what happens. Also clean out the filter although I don't think its clogged up or anything. I will be getting corals soon so I better match up the water levels!
Thanks

the filter may not be clogged but will cause nitrate readings in your water if its not cleaned weekly.

i'd put both power heads, one on either side, the more water movement you have the better your LR can do its. if i were you and usign an HOB filter, i'd proboably go with a second AC110. with saltwater its always a good rule to go with a filter atleast double the size of your tank. keeping the water clean is the most important thing and your livestock will thank you for it

Thanks
But if I get a skimmer do I still need filters?
I have a extra smaller filter I think it's upto 30 I think or maybe 50
Should I run that too along with the 110 Cause if I don't need a filter with a skimmer then I'll buy a skimmer not another filter

Thanks again everyone.

I dont run a filter but I have 2 small sumps and a skimmer,you could run both the filter and the skimmer it would be better than 2 filters.

i have a 30 and a 50 gallon filter in my tank and i run them all the time, and i only have a 26 gallon. there is nothing wrong with to much filtration. i'm even considerign replaceing my 30 gallon with a AC110 and making it into a refungium and i'm going to place a media cartrage in it to help polish and collect floating junk

So how are you going to make the 110ac a Refiguim? Isn't the flow gonna be so strong?
I have thought about making a Refiguim cause I have a dragonet and that would
Help with the pods stuff.
I am so confused on what to do to improve the water.
I really don't want to set up another tank to make a sump or Refiguim cause I don't have room under my tank. Making it in a 110ac that I can do but how does that work?

get a skimmer, with a tank that big you need one, turn your second koralia powerhead on. if i were you i'd also add a second aquaclear 110 or turn yours into a refungium and get a canister filter or a sump.

YouTube - DIY Aquaclear Refugium Mod

also you should be doing a 10% water change every other week atleast to keep the water as clean as possible

I'm gonna be buying a skimmer it's good for unto 135 gallon tank. My tank is 70g
Should I still run my 110 AC filter?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom