Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #21

They do now, did you see the arcticle in the news paper abouta two months ago
long story short the florida waters now have tnags in them and there producing more tangs
should alot of fish that are not native here that are now in the florida waters, went on to say that it most likley started out with someone letting a fish go and how there now living in our waters and what that will do to the whole system
I really didn't see any thing wrong with that other then the fish storees losing money as you can catch your own fish instead of paying for it
When you think about it what are you to do when a salt water fish gets so big that not even the pete stores want it
I would never do anything to hurt a fish I just think letting it free to the ocean is not a bad thing as its the closes it will come to being back in its natural waters for where it once came, besides tangs are algie eaters ,the beaches have so much algie and sea weed that comes to shore that the county has to have it cleaned
A small fish is one thing, yes bring it to the pet store and hoping some one will buy it and give it a home is a good thing but when they get a foot or two long what pet store is going to take that fish
I can't see any other choice other then letting it free and given it a chance
The news paper artical did talk a little bit about what do you do with a fish that gets that large but no one really had an answer, its not like you can take it on a trip with you back to the red sea
Old 08-12-2004, 04:20 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
You could also check with public aquariums, Florida is loaded with them. Maybe they would take them, or someone you know with a bigger system. Or upgrade your system. If my Angel outgrows my tank and I've had her that long, I may just have to upgrade mine someday. Thats part of the responsibilty of taking in a pet as I see it.
If the concern is for the well being of the fish, are you sure letting them loose in your nearest ocean is best for them? How do you know your tangs will eat this seaweed? Ecosystems take a long time to form and are delicate, IMO its not a good idea to mess with them.
There are now Lionfish along the east coast and authorities and scientists alike are worried about the long term effects of that.
Once again, its not a good thing to do, this is messing with already abused ecosystems and its against the law. Just my opinion.
Sorry Rocketseason, got off subject here.

Old 08-12-2004, 04:26 PM   #23

I know what you mean, I'm not planing on getting ride of any fish right now, I just upgraded as I had to make that choice ,get ride of the big fish or a biger tank and I choose to get a bigger tank as I'm to attached to them to just let them go but this is the last upgrade I will be able to do as anything over the 125 is to much for me and besides my wife will kill me
Old 08-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXVISOR19641964
anything over the 125 is to much for me and besides my wife will kill me
Now this I understand and agree with, mine is ready to shoot me because of this hobby.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:29 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
UPDATE:

I love my job. Well, my finacial problems are temporarly solved so It looks like Monday I will be ordering my Live Rock!
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:31 PM   #26

Don't you have a place you can go to and buy it vs ordering it sight un seen?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:31 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSeason
UPDATE:

I love my job. Well, my finacial problems are temporarly solved so It looks like Monday I will be ordering my Live Rock!
Excellent !! Congrats!
Life is a roller coaster isn't it.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I really didn't see any thing wrong with that other then the fish storees losing money as you can catch your own fish instead of paying for it
How about the potential impact on the environment? Check out Florida history, and you will see that non-native species such as the Melaleuca trees native to Australia are causing a huge issue in the Everglades. What do you think happens when the native habit to native livestock disappears? This does not even address the amount of money that needs to be spent to reverse the damage and control such populations. That money has to come from somewhere and it sure isn't a non-native Money Tree. As mentioned, it is also quite illegal. 8O

Why do you think people went nuts in Maryland making sure snakeheads were removed from local waterways

Quote:
When you think about it what are you to do when a salt water fish gets so big that not even the pete stores want it
Responsible aquarists do NOT purchase livestock that we cannot reasonable keep. And besides, very few such species exist that cannot be kept in a home aquarium. If yours isn't large enough, pass for a more appropriate species.

Quote:
I would never do anything to hurt a fish I just think letting it free to the ocean is not a bad thing as its the closes it will come to being back in its natural waters for where it once came
So setting a fish free where it doesn't naturally belong is helping it? What about the native fish that suffer as a result Have you considered, that in addition to "setting a fish free", you will also be contributing potential parasites and bacteria

Quote:
besides tangs are algie eaters ,the beaches have so much algie and sea weed that comes to shore that the county has to have it cleaned
If introducing tangs was a reasonable option, don't you think the local wildlife council would have decided to do it themselves....considering I doubt you have done research on algae specifics, causes, etc.

Quote:
A small fish is one thing, yes bring it to the pet store and hoping some one will buy it and give it a home is a good thing but when they get a foot or two long what pet store is going to take that fish
Then don't buy the fish to begin with, problem solved with no threat to the environment. There are tanks available to accomodate a fish that large, and that is who should be purchasing them.

Quote:
I can't see any other choice other then letting it free and given it a chance
Chance at what exactly Throwing out the natural balance of the current ecosystem. The chance at living at the cost of other species?

For anyone who may have heard, and has questioned the validity of the bill making its way through the system....this is why they surface. Whether it should or should not be passed, it is this kind of ignorance that contributes to people wanting to put handcuffs on our hobby. We the hobbyists, as well as the collectors, dealers, etc. have been given the opportunity to regulate ourselves and we continue to prove that we are not capable of doing so all through the aquarium process, even with the best intentions. There are tons of links building that are pointing fingers directly at our hobby, maybe we want to pay attention.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/InNews...ncern2004.html
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-fna040704.php
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...mescapees.html
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...fpi-190599.php
Old 08-12-2004, 04:44 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Back to the topic at hand, Rocket....if something else does happen (we could relate for hours with stories!), you do not need all of your live rock at once to enjoy a tank. You could cycle with shrimp, with or w/o liverock. www.hirocks.com and www.reeferrocks.com both have great deals on baserock, which in a short time will look no different. Add some or a lot of liverock when you are ready, if you are worried about another cycle just cure it in a rubbermaid container first.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:45 PM   #30

Relax there ,my point is I would rather set them free if there was no place to give them to ,the other choice would be worse ,also sounds like your in the business and speaking from your pocket

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com