Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Salty Frustrations

Well guys,

as many of you know I came on the scene here several months back and I Had just bought my tank then. I have purchased my tank and stand, filtration equipment, skimmer, sand, salt, testing equipment, and cleaning equipment.

But now I am stalled. I cannot seem to save the 250 stupid dollars I need to get my Live Rock! Its frustrating to me. I have almost made it here and now BOOM! I need new tires. My tank has been sitting there full of water and sand nothing else for over 3 months.

Its so frustrating because If It were a fresh water tank, I'd have a tank full of fish and plants right now! and they would be swimming away and having fishy fun. And I would be having Fishy watching fun!

Someone please tell me everything will be ok.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to dustybrannum Send a message via MSN to dustybrannum Send a message via Yahoo to dustybrannum
well i had my tank for about 2 years before i was able to put water in it this last memorial day and then put live rock in it two weeks ago. So the moral is do not get discouraged just hang in there and be patient. Now i have lots of live rock and algae growing.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i had decided i wasnt going to go with live rock for that very reason not being abel to save up enough just try to make many friends in the same hobby as u me i started working at the lfs and wound up getting about 20 - 30 lbs of lr for free if u look around hard enough you might just be able to find a deal maybe from someone close by if theyr getting rid of a tank or sumthing good luck though patience is everything in this hobby
Old 08-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #4

THERES NOWREASON WHY YOU SHOULD HAVE AN EMPTY TANK, IF YOUR TANK IS CYCLED YOU CAN ADD EITHER FISH OR CORALS DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU WANT, I ADDED THE LIVE ROCK LITTLE AT A TIME AND HAD FUN DOING THAT AS I WOULD LOOK FOR A CERTAIN SHAPE TO BUILD THHE REEF I WANTED BUT I HAD MOST OF THE FISH I WANTED BEFORE I ADDED THE ROCK AS THE ROCK IS EXPENSIVE
Old 08-11-2004, 06:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Dont feel bad I have had my first tank sitting on the patio for about 3-4 months before I brought it into the house...now I have a 100 sitting in my room ready to go except for a skimmer and LR too...dont feel bad and dont get discouraged...
Old 08-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
well, EXVISOR19641964, I really want to cycle the tank with the live rock before I put fish in. that way I wont have problems with adding un-cured live rock later and worrying about amonia spikes while my fish are in there.

It's all about patience I know, but GRRRR! I wan't fishies!

Looks like it going to be another 2 or 3 months before I can add fish.

...sigh...
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

shhh....don't tell anyone...but you don't really need liverock. Nice to have, but not necessary, and you can just add some later.

If you get some base rock, like from hirocks.com, put some frozen shrimp in the tank to cycle it, and bam! you have biological filtration, you just don't have all the cool little creatures that come with the LR. Your baserock will eventually turn into LR, expecially if you end up seeding it with a few pounds later on.

Quote:
that way I wont have problems with adding un-cured live rock later and worrying about amonia spikes while my fish are in there
If you get LR from liverocks.com you don't have to worry about this; or, at least I never saw an ammonia spike when I added my rock.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

RocketSeason,

I understand your frustrations, and everything will be ok - trust me! It will be worth it. I cycled my tank with liverock, but it was mostly cured. I also put in a dead raw shrimp and my tank cycled in about 7 days. The rock is expensive, but I think you are doing the right thing and waiting until you have enough money to get all of your rock at once. You would hate to start cycling your tank with rock and then a couple weeks later get another bunch of rocks and set off a mini-cycle again. Just keep putting away a few dollars at a time and in no time you will have your rock money.

Hang in there!

In its great blue whales, hunted even to
between houses, an entire people was
dreaming of a less silent light.
BlueDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 01:58 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Rocketseason, I had a small SW tank back in the late 70s-early 80s. I promised myself I would get a big one someday. Well, years passed with no tank. I did finally get a tank last year, it was my reward to myself for spending 9 months sweating away finishing my basement. It was my motivation to work for 6 hours every night after work.
Trust me when I tell you...its worth the wait!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #10

I get the rock already cured from the fish store ,most of the time here in florida they don't put it out for sale until its cured, most of the rock I added little at a time to get the 80 / 100 lbs I have was already cured and had nice little things growing and living on it, what state are you in

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com