Salty tanks with black sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The CodFather

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sooo I don't think I have seen any saltwater tanks with black sand.... Does anyone do this or are they mostly lighter colored sand? Thinking of dipping my toes in the salty side...

Anyone have pics of your black sand tanks?

I think it would be a cool idea. Would have cost a lot for my big tank, I used only about 20% live sand so I picked the figi pink color to blend in with the rest but I really would have liked black.

I think it would make the colors stand out like crazy! But I wonder if there is a reason why the lighter sand is more popular

Black sand makes the tank look dark when my lights are on. I switched to light brown sand and everything about my tank looked brighter. I will never go back to black sand again.

I use it my frag tank/ lion fish I like it.

Attachments

• image-63155335.jpg
    image-63155335.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 94
  • image-536984309.jpg
    image-536984309.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 93
Awesome! Thank you all for replying with the pros and cons!! I am so unsure which side of the fence to fall on with the sand

I have the black aragonite sand in my tank. i think it makes the color of the coral pop out more especially if your rocks are on the darker side. The only caution is that it has some stuff that's magnetic so you have to be really careful if you use a magnetic algae scrapper b/c it can scratch your tank.

Back
Top Bottom