Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it me or does your guy's sand completely explode at the slightest touch? If I touch the sand even with my finger, the sand clouds up an one little touch can cloud my whole tank. It usually clears up over night but its annoying. Is it normal? Will it go away?

My tank was cloudy from my sand when I set it up. After a week and a half it was crystal clear. I blames myself for not rinsing the send well enough to begin with. But now months into my first aquarium my sand just falls right back down when I touch it. Goodluck!

caseynewton said:
My tank was cloudy from my sand when I set it up. After a week and a half it was crystal clear. I blames myself for not rinsing the send well enough to begin with. But now months into my first aquarium my sand just falls right back down when I touch it. Goodluck!

So eventually it will just settle immediately? :)

I hope so. It did in my aquarium. I move plants and stuff around all the time. And the sand always drops back down. Without cloudiness.

caseynewton said:
I hope so. It did in my aquarium. I move plants and stuff around all the time. And the sand always drops back down. Without cloudiness.

Yeah. Well does the fineness of the sand make a difference?

caseynewton said:
I'd guess so. My sand is like out door play sand. Small grains, but not dust.

Moments finer that that. I bought the carribsea live sand. It's not dust but it's kinda fine....how can I help that?

Lane1223 said:
Moments finer that that. I bought the carribsea live sand. It's not dust but it's kinda fine....how can I help that?

Mine is finer then that*

I don't know, hopefully someone here has experience with it. Maybe just patience. That's what my friends keep telling me. It will settle in time.

Do you have an extra HOB that you can fill with just poly-fill I have sugar sand very fine grained almost like flower I filled my HOB with the P-F and raised a small cloud every morning and then left for work when i got home i removed the fill rinsed and replaced it took me 8 days of this and if finely stopped clouding my tank every time a fish swam by. I run a DSB so i dont vacum my sand

This is more an issue of residual "dust" in the sand, without thoroughly washing any kind of sand, it has a fine dust mixed in, just part of the process. You can either do as grizz mentioned above or simply let the fish do it, that may take months though.

negligent_inmate said:
This is more an issue of residual "dust" in the sand, without thoroughly washing any kind of sand, it has a fine dust mixed in, just part of the process. You can either do as grizz mentioned above or simply let the fish do it, that may take months though.

Ok I may just let the fish do it... It's their home. If they want it then they can keep it. :)

I spent 2.5 hours cleaning my sand before it went in the tank, it was completely clear within 48 hours. Anytime my sand gets touched, it does kick up a mini sandstorm, but has no affect on the water. It'll thin out after awhile:)

negligent_inmate said:
I spent 2.5 hours cleaning my sand before it went in the tank, it was completely clear within 48 hours. Anytime my sand gets touched, it does kick up a mini sandstorm, but has no affect on the water. It'll thin out after awhile:)

Well this is the first time I've ever done live sand. Plus, when I opened the bag, there was another bag, inside the bigger bag, that contained the actual sand and the bottom ripped and the sand went all over my carpet...

negligent_inmate said:
Ohh my, yeah sand spills are crappy, especially on carpet

Yeah! Thank God for Vacuum cleaners!!! Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom