sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pool sand and hardware sand are ok but very very very messy every time you move something!!

But the price is very very very lower!!
Lol

Pool sand and hardware sand are ok but very very very messy every time you move something!!

But the price is very very very lower!!
Lol

Dont care about the mess. Lol a buck a pound is kinda pricey. I'm just trying to get sand salt and water in the tank. Then start some rock. Not trying to get any fish for a while just want to start something.

I used pool filter sand in my 125g tank, 250lbs of it! LOL It cost about $5 for 50lbs. :) The only caveat is that it needs to be rinsed really really well. It took me hours to clean mine, I rinsed it in water until the water ran clear. there was alot of dust and debris in the bags.

I used pool filter sand in my 125g tank, 250lbs of it! LOL It cost about $5 for 50lbs. :) The only caveat is that it needs to be rinsed really really well. It took me hours to clean mine, I rinsed it in water until the water ran clear. there was alot of dust and debris in the bags.

I got a 5 gallon bucket. Ill rinse small amounts really well. Thanks! Scored a protien skimmer for $25!

I just hope I can find it at my menards or home depot. Middle of october in iowa most the pool stuff is gone...

Go to homedepo and get commercial grade quikrete fine sand. I just got 100lbs for $7 and used it to fill my sump with a dsb. It is washed kiln dried and almost silica free.

Ehh wash a little by little in a bucket. It took about 2 hours or so to wash it all. It's not to bad.

Ehh wash a little by little in a bucket. It took about 2 hours or so to wash it all. It's not to bad.

Will this work? Its all that menards has...

img_1599125_0_76e5a02f4130257ed7f1443d5b90db0a.jpg

Go to homedepo and get commercial grade quikrete fine sand. I just got 100lbs for $7 and used it to fill my sump with a dsb. It is washed kiln dried and almost silica free.

haha! i believe i found it! could you please confirm this is what you got??? its a little more than what you paid... dumb iowa. oh well looks like $5.50 for a 50lb bag. if this is what you used should I get 100 lbs for a 55 gallon tank? thanks!

Travis

img_1599219_0_bc9d36dd57dd2cf98b31f1c0d7d5aeac.jpg

yes this is the sand i got. i also live here in iowa but i think it was on sale when i was buying it. like $3 something a bag.

nope, not that i know of. it is cheep, fine grade sand. the color is a little gray but under the right light i think it would have a white look to it. i cant really tell since i only have a pc on some macro algae and a turf scrubber

nope, not that i know of. it is cheep, fine grade sand. the color is a little gray but under the right light i think it would have a white look to it. i cant really tell since i only have a pc on some macro algae and a turf scrubber

Thanks! I just couldn't see paying $45 for 40 lbs... I'm taking this veeerrryyyy slow. Lol salt waters expensive! Lol

Well after 2 hours of rinsing I FINALLY got it put into my tank! Sorry for the craply pics but I got the sand in and a couple inches of water.

img_1602280_0_50836db36ba38fe23f0c61f64bb91f1b.jpg

It looks much clearer. I just poured in some water.

img_1602280_1_ab95d7bd931ea88e371748ed5365ac2b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom