Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosnianblood69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Wondering if i can use some sand from home depot in my tank? And mix it with some live sand and argonite? And if i can what should i use just regular play sand?

You can but it doesn't look as nice. I would look into pool filter sand if your looking to save money. If you have a small to medium size tank though I would just eat the cost and get the best looking stuff you can find cause once its in it can be a pain to switch and can potentially nuke a tank doing so.

Don't bother with the play sand from Home Depot. It's not too good looking. Try to find some pool filter sand. About the same price of $5 for 50 lbs. PFS looks a lot nicer.

If you put in live sand you will need to premix the water before adding it to the tank, otherwise everything in the sand will die. I filled my 29 with sand in place and i put a shallow tupperware inside the tank, made it level and then used my siphon tube to add the water the premixed saltwater in. having it go into the tupperware and then flow out the four sides minimized the amount of sand that was kicked up. Settled in less than a day. I plan on doing the same with my 110. Use a ladder or something taller than the tank to rest jugs or buckets on to feed the gravity siphon.

Thats a lot of times i gotta lift then can i just premix in sump and then send up to tank?

I am not sure yet. I got the tank for free and forgot to grab the skimmer. Ya it is a lot of lifting. My arms will be just as tired as yours. lol anyone know a better way?

How deep should i go with my sand bed?

Are you planning any critters that dig in the sand? Jawfish? Pistol shrimp? Gobies? If so, you'll need at least 3". If you're not wanting any digging critters, then you can have as little as you like, or even a barebottom tank. If you're wanting a DSB, thats 4-6", and the bottom part is anaerobic and that's a whole different type of sandbed.

Back
Top Bottom