Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckshot41

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you go to Home Depot and buy there all purpose sand,And use it as a bed? They all so have play sand to, I was going to put it on top! I'm not for sure but I thought I seen a YouTube of a guy doing it! Thanks

I used play sand from Lowe's, so I am sure it is the same thing. I added some betta sand, white and black. I thought it made it look a little more natural, you never go to a beach and see all tan colored sand. lol. Up to you. But play sand is fine. Not sure about all purpose sand, but im sure it's fine (id wait for someone else to chime in about it)

Make sure whatever sand you buy, you rinse rinse rinse the heck out of it. I put mine in 5 gal buckets and rinsed it out with water until the water came out clear, then I rinsed it again several times.

If you don't clean it enough, it can dust up your tank and make it look not so clear and clean.

I would not use any of those sands they are silicate based you want aragnite based sand to help buffer the water ...cheaper is not always better shortcuts in this hobby will come back to bite you..

I would not use any of those sands they are silicate based you want aragnite based sand to help buffer the water ...cheaper is not always better shortcuts in this hobby will come back to bite you..

Which sands are you talking about? I have play sand in 2 of my tanks and its been fine. I had other people suggest play sand and say it was fine. I also think play sand is listed under an article in the forum about adding sand to your tank.

Maybe your right but I hope play sand is ok as I've had it in my tank for quite a while.

The silicate based kind can cause diatom blooms... I have read a great deal on it and for sw tanks everthing I read warns against using anything but aragnite based sands

The silicate based kind can cause diatom blooms... I have read a great deal on it and for sw tanks everthing I read warns against using anything but aragnite based sands

Ohh... Is this posted in the saltwater section? I'm on my app and didn't c that it was. I have freshwater does it make a difference?

Not all silica based sands will release the silicates to be consumed. Granite sand is silica, but there is NO way the diatoms can get at the silica. Not all things with the same chemical base are the same.
Just like how charcoal is made from carbon and so is diamond, the 2 are completely different chemically.
Silica is in most coral based sand.
Silica is in glass.
Silica is in most play sand and pool filter sand.

Silica in glass and most granite sand cannot be consumed by diatoms. PERIOD.

I had granite sand in my first tank. Never had any diatoms. Upgraded tanks and switched to coral sand (granite sand was too small and blew all over the place) and boom, diatoms.

I would not take the chance if it were me. But you can Google it and find reviews to see what type some have been successfull with...

Back
Top Bottom