sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lloydxmas

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the process of looking for sand. What type should I get? I was looking at Fiji pink but also pool filter sand. I know there is a difference in price but what are everyone's thoughts? I am making a reef tank and I want sand sifters.

In the process of looking for sand. What type should I get? I was looking at Fiji pink but also pool filter sand. I know there is a difference in price but what are everyone's thoughts? I am making a reef tank and I want sand sifters.

FWIW I had pool filter sand on hand when I started my tank and was told that silicates in it would cause excess algae. Just to avoid trouble I went ahead and bought Fiji pink aragonite. Funny thing though, I still had a huge outbreak of diatoms and algae for several months. I also read that pfs has sharp edges which could cause problems with burrowers. I've used it in my planted tanks without issue. Just my .02:)

FWIW I had pool filter sand on hand when I started my tank and was told that silicates in it would cause excess algae. Just to avoid trouble I went ahead and bought Fiji pink aragonite. Funny thing though, I still had a huge outbreak of diatoms and algae for several months. I also read that pfs has sharp edges which could cause problems with burrowers. I've used it in my planted tanks without issue. Just my .02:)

Thank you for your suggestion!

ive used nothing BUT PFS in my sw tanks and ive never had an issue in terms of cutting fish, even the numerous gobies ive had are fine. in regards to the silicates, dont even worry about them, because when establishing a new tank, you are going to have algae outbreaks no matter what...so its not like its a huge problem.

Either will work just fine. I wouldn't be worried about burrowers. It is correct that pool filter sand is silicate based, but many use it without issues. Diatoms happen no matter what and just burn out on their own.

PFS also offers some buffering if needed where as pool sand will not.

PFS also offers some buffering if needed where as pool sand will not.
buffering shouldnt be an issue. by the time someone needs buffering capacity (due to corals) they will be either looking into dosing units/reactors, or will have already started that route. so the sands buffering shouldnt matter

In most cases that is true. But the unlikely can happen. Heavily stocked sps tank, gone for a week or so and dosing mechanism fails...

Aragonite sand doesn't buffer much and shouldn't be relied upon but every little bit helps.

I'm just saying between the two the added buffering in an emergency could help.

thats personal preference. a decent starting point would be 75lbs. obviously upward from there if you are wanting a dsb.

I answered this on your other thread I believe. I have had zero issues with gobies and sifters and pool filter sand. :)

Lol everyone is using pfs... Is that pink Fiji sand or pool filter sand?

I like calcium based sand for it's reflectivity and buffering capability, but As far as silicates, what about the tank glass? Why doesn't that "leach" anything. I'm not sure silicates and algae problems is a valid reason to use calcium based sand.

I like calcium based sand for it's reflectivity and buffering capability, but As far as silicates, what about the tank glass? Why doesn't that "leach" anything. I'm not sure silicates and algae problems is a valid reason to use calcium based sand.

So you like pool filter of pink Fiji?

I have an Australian gold sand and honestly with the lighting for my reef the color looks white. Don't know about the pink but I'm guessing its pretty much the same. My 2 pennies worth.

Obviously pool filter sand has no shelf life. Is there a shelf life for the arag-alive sand?

Back
Top Bottom