Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beau_123

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best sand for a reef tank like I know there is a certain size grain needed for gobies?

Grain wise. A little larger then sugar is recommended. If it's too big then detritus will get in it and foul your water. To small and all you will see is detritus.

Ok can you give me like an example of the right one to get?

I'm in the middle of switching to sand from crushed coral so far the crushed coral has just been a pain to deal with it's consistently dirty I went with a mixture of two sands some live and some dry thy were slightly different in color just a shade different and once mixed looks pretty neat

I think medium sized grains work best, as the smaller ones will settle at the bottom. Btw, I use Caribsea Aragon-alive and never had any problems :)

I think medium sized grains work best, as the smaller ones will settle at the bottom. Btw, I use Caribsea Aragon-alive and never had any problems :)

Your not going to have problems because the sand is "live". It is simply more expensive and has no real benefit to your system.

What is your example of a "Medium" size grain?

Your not going to have problems because the sand is "live". It is simply more expensive and has no real benefit to your system.

What is your example of a "Medium" size grain?

Yeah, I didn't know that at the time lol (everyone had said live sand was best, so I just went with it, but it seems like it's not really necessary!)

I don't know the name of my sand offhand, but it's smaller than crushed coral and larger than the super-fine stuff (it's in the middle)

Yeah, I didn't know that at the time lol (everyone had said live sand was best, so I just went with it, but it seems like it's not really necessary!)

I don't know the name of my sand offhand, but it's smaller than crushed coral and larger than the super-fine stuff (it's in the middle)

Well, I have found there are two grains in the middle. One is a little larger then the fine stuff, the other you can see each individual grain. Make sense?

Back
Top Bottom