Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ez29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi

him in kinda of a predicament here. i live in japan so reading stuff isnt easy. i recently went to a hardware store and i saw large bags with sand. it was 150 yen a bag(only a dollar 50!!!) but the bag is just plain and no label. just a big bag of sand that has little broek nshells in it and such and looks like beach sand. should i get it or no? and if i cant get that may i get sand fro mthe beach, i live on okinawa japan not mainland so im guessing less pollution. and its also legal. thank you very much!!

almost all ocean sand will be polluted in some way. so, you may have a problem no matter where you live.

as for the bagged sand... for that low price i would buy some and do a vinegar test on it. take some of the sand, and place it in a bowl. then pour some vinegar over the sand. if it fizzes then you have a calcium based aragonite sand. that is what you want. if it does not fizz, then you have a silica based sand.

silica sand will work in a tank, as it is not toxic to the fish, but it will not provide any natural pH buffering, like an aragonite sand will.

~mike

Back
Top Bottom