Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-12-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Originally Posted by Agnate80700
3) As long as the substrate contains CC, it will provide the benifits we seek?

4) While silica based sand will not be detrimental to the aquarium, it will not provide the benifits CC based sand will?
I think most will agree with 1 and 2, but you're going to get mixed opinions on 3 and 4. Just because the playsand is cc based, does not mean it doesn't have a bunch of garbage in it that will leach into your system.

If you haven't discovered it yet, there are very few "correct" answers in this hobby and many different people have had many different experiences. Getting "the facts" isn't really going to happen - you just have to decide for yourself armed with as many different opinions (and the reasoning behind those opinions) as you can find.

I just want to make sure I get the sandbed right, this is one of those 'no takesies-backsies.'
Actually... you CAN do it over, it's just a matter of how much of a hassle you want to go through.

I struggled with the whole sand bed thing too. While there are lots of different opinions on other stuff, I found a ton of differing opinions on DSBs. If I remember correctly, the concensus seemed to say that you either need to go with a thin layer of sand (1" or less), or you need a thick layer (4" or more). Anything in between was causing more harm than good. Personally... I couldn't bring my self to do 6" deep either, but I didn't want 1". I ended up with 4" for the most part - maybe 3" in spots. (My clown is currently doing a little renovation in the corner, and I think that spot may be down to 2-2.5" now!) Anyway... I was worried about this since I seem to be flirting with "no mans land", but the tanks been up nearly 10 months now, and catastrophe hasn't struck. Yet.

It sorta doesnt make sense they would package oldcastle sand one way, and then the same company would package the exact same product under a different brand name...
Sure it does... look at all those Proctor & Gamble shampoos that are on your store shelves! Or even General Motors!

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:25 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Kurt said it well.

1 & 2 you've got right.

3, Calcium carbonate will help buffer your water, but you don't NEED to use calcium carbonate based sand to have a successful tank. IMHO, it definitley helps.

4, You can use an all silica based sand if you wanted, but a CaCO3 based sand would be better, IMO. The thing about silica leaching into the water and creating diatom problems...I don't buy it. Glass is mostly silica and it hasn't been contributed to causing diatom blooms. Again, CaCO3 helps to buffer, and can go a long way in keeping pH up if other conventions fail (such as tap water, salt mix, or whatever).

I'm 99% sure Kolorscape sand is perfect for use, even though it probably is a 50/50 calcium carbonate/silica mix. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that all playsand must be sterilized before it can be marketed as such. This should mean that the sand is safe for use. If you do a google search for kolorscape play sand, you'll come up with a bunch of threads on reef forums and people using it in their tanks. Only thing I've found so far that is detrimental about it, is that it can be sharp. But unless you are going to be stocking your tank with garden eels or sand sifting gobies, I wouldn't worry about it (and I probably wouldn't even worry about it even if you were).

Just my opinions, of course.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah lol kurt, I meant too much hassle for me to go through when i said no take backs. I dont even wanna think about how to replace a sandbed in a fully setup tank (if it is any less than a full tear-down)

And im pretty sure your right about the sterilization devilishturtles, infact aside from a quick google for a photo of the bag, im pretty sure it says that right on the front of the packaging.

Then its settled: 10 fifty lb bags of kolorscape white play sand! Who wants to help lug all that around? hehe

Agnate80700 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com