Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sand

I know oldcastle and yard right playsand is primo stuff for our aquariums, but are they the only brands that are what we want?

I have had no luck finding either of the two brands talked about but I have come accross lots of other brands. Does anyone know of any other brands that would be as good as oldcastle/yardright?

Old 06-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I think Kolorscape might work. The trick it to take some vinegar with you and put some sand in your hand, dump some vinegar on it and if it foams buy it.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. I was at HD about 30 min ago and I saw Kolorscape sand... there were 2 kinds. And it does indeed say 'distributed by Oldcastle inc.' on th bag.

There was a brown-ish sand they called 'all purpose' and then a white sand they called 'white play sand' i believe.

I rummaged around the store and found some tarnish remover (said on the back 'caution contains [some sort of] acid') so I took that over to the sand and poured some on both.

The all purpose sand didnt do anything, but the white sand fizzed just a little bit. If I had to guess, I would say the white sand looks like something you'd find in the ocean.

How much is it supposed for fizzle?
Old 06-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

If I remember correctly, Marcona Ocean Industries used to provide or does provide the sand for Caribsea and Old Castle. The Southdown was the commercial packaging and Yard Right is the retail version of the same. Still hard to find anywhere except on the east coast. Kolorscape is of another gradient by Old Castle and probably from Marcona as well. You can pour white vinegar in a glass and add some of the sand to it. If it begins to fizzle or bubble (don't expect a volcano eruption by any means) then it contains calcium carbonate.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
The play sand should be just fine for what you want, and I believe many people here have used it before. The fizz, like Innovator said, means the sand contains calcium carbonate, which will help buffer your water. Just make sure the sand is plain, untreated sand and you'll be good to go.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok i think im good to go with the kolorscape white play sand. It definetly made fizz when I poured the acid on it (i didnt use vinegar, i just used some random item i found in the store that contained acid lol)

So whats the rule on how much sand for a tank? Does it go by lbs per gallon?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Generally, 1-2 pounds per gallon is a good general guideline, and should give you ~ 2 inches of depth. Of course, if you want more, add more. If you want less, add less. Depth is really dependend on your tastes. Some people run barebottom tanks (no sand) to DSB tanks with 5 inches of sand.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there a benifit to deep sand beds?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html

Here is a good aquarium calculator. Just click on sand bed calculator. Figure out how deep you want and it will tell you how much you need. As far as the benefits of deep sand bed

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/deepsandbeds.htm

http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog...ie_061498.html

http://www.ronshimek.com/Deep%20Sand%20Beds.htm

HTH

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

So according to one of the articles, were looking at 6-10 inches of sand bed for optimal effect?

6 i could do, 10 is a little much I'd think...

6 inches of sandbed is 500lbs of sand! holy moley. 10 bags though, thats only like $50. this tank is so heavy its almost unbelievable lol. Thank god a steel I-beam runs directly underneith the tank lol.

So just to be clear, i want to review the what I understand:

1) Kolorscape is distributed by Oldcastle. Oldcastle is provided material by Marcona Ocean Industries which gets its sand from the carrib. floor?

2) Acid causes calcium carbonite to break down aka fizzle. Sand that fizzles due to addition of acid can be concluded that it is CC based?

3) As long as the substrate contains CC, it will provide the benifits we seek?

4) While silica based sand will not be detrimental to the aquarium, it will not provide the benifits CC based sand will?

I just want to make sure I get the sandbed right, this is one of those 'no takesies-backsies.'

And on a side note, is there a chance that the kolorscape sand has extra junk in it? Maybe its like 50/50 silica/aragonite? It sorta doesnt make sense they would package oldcastle sand one way, and then the same company would package the exact same product under a different brand name...

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com