Sand and Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buffy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tons of questions. I have read soo much stuff and been to so many sites that I've gotten in a rut. I'm "dead in the water" because I don't know what to do next. So I've chose to worry bout equipment later (ro/di, skimmer, lights, sump, overflow and anything else I didn't mention) and just get the sand/rock part down first. I bought bagged sand (no water in it) and 25lb live rock (which probably died as it had to sit in my tub for 3 days cause I ran into problems with tank--moved it and leveled it--so new to hobby didn't think of that).

I have tap water for now, will get ro/di in future (soon I hope).

Questions are:

1. How much more sand?
2. How deep for sand?
3. How much for rock?
4. Base or live? What's the difference and if I need both how much of each?
5. Rock on sand or on glass with sand around rock?
6. How to stabilize rock for the sand movers I eventually will have so nothing comes tumbling down? Which leads to number 7.
7. How to aquascape the rock for everything? (for mixed reef, fish, corals invertebraes and such)
8. How to glue/attach rock together and can you do this both with base and live? Then how long before I can put into tank?
9. Am I wasting electricity by running my power filter with just sand and rock?
10. Standard 48" 1 bulb light (the kind I used to buy for the garage that hang), is it needed to run with the sand and rock now?

Whew I know I have plenty more questions. I'm going to Foster and Smith's tomorrow and want to gather my "shopping list".

I also need stuff to soak the rock in I think (stuff I have now was all put in BEFORE I knew I needed to treat tap water). So I gotta still treat tap then mix salt then add to tank, Guess my 50' foot syphon hose that attaches to my sink was a waste.

Thanks everyone, any and all help is sooo appreciated. I know everyone likes to spend everyone else's money soooo lots of input is requested then I can hopefully get what I need. (It is a little over an hour drive each way, with my rotating shift work, I want to get what I need to do the sand and rock this trip.) Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom