Sand bed too deep?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaiden

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am filling my new 54g corner tank. I added 60lb of aragonite "oolytic" sand, and I think it may be too deep... It's still really cloudy, so I can't see for sure, but it feels like 3" deep in most places.

Is 3" too deep? I don't like the idea of shoveling out wet sand and putting it... where?

It started as dry sand, and dry hirocks. I was going to cycle the tank and then add some "real" LS

thoughts?

It really depends on what kind of tank you want. If you plan on having a FO tank with messy eaters than 1/2" of sand would be better. 3" is close to being considered a DSB and should be treated as such.

3 inches is definately the minimum for a DSB...which I highly reccomend. You will need to address the needs of the DSB to keep it from "clumping." Short version is that the glucose from the bacteria causes the sand to clump and causes sulfides to be trapped. If those pockets are broken they can crash a tank. You can avoid "clumping" by making sure you have enough Shifters (not sifters) in the sand to keep it moving. If the sand is constantly being moved around, it cant clump and it filters the water better! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom