sand bed turning browish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gatr_head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since upgrading my lighting to 192w PC's, my 46g sand bed is turning brownish in spots. This must be a bad sign but of what? Is it algae growth and how do I get rid of it?
I try to do 5g water changes weekly up to 10 days do I need to do more?

brown on the sand is usally diatoms but shouldnt be caused by lighting if your using tap water and did a big water change that could cause a little but will just burn its self off in a bit if its slimy or hary algae you might have a phosphate issue and set it off with stronger lights, if its diatoms phosguard helps wich also reduces other algaes but dosnt really cure anything mabey look at what food your feeding or how long your lights are running.

I only have a yellow tang, an orchid dottyback, an emerald crab and a red banded shrimp. I feed the tang when I get home work some nori and then around 8:30PM I break a cube of frozen mysis shrimp in 1/2 and feed the rest. Since upgrading the lights, I have been running them for about 10 hours a day but that's because I just bought a BTA and some xenia.
Do you think I'm runnig the lights too long? If I cut back on the lights, will I hurt the BTA or the xenia?

i had the same problem i upgraded my lights to 192 watt in my 46 bow and had a terrible algea outbreak for about a week and a half what i did was syphen out the algea, and i lost some argonite in the porocess, but you can replace it, and check for po4, cut back lights to about 6-7hrs

sounds like feeding and light hours are ok, if you have a phosphate testkit check that but they dont really show anything anyway,are you using tap water? and is it hary,slimy or kind of like dust

I am having this same problem but i am guessing it is because i used tap water...
it is a bit slimy but it looks like dust.
it is on my substrate sand and also in some live rock...
what should i do??
and is this algea harmfull in any way?

Cut back on feedings. Only feed every other day. Been doing this for over 8 years with no algea problems. Algea must be fed.

Diatoms are usually caused by excessive amounts of silicate, although PO4 will cause it also. Over feeding and/or using tap water are the most common causes in established tanks. If your tank is new-less than 6 months-diatoms are common and usually go away w/ time as the tank matures. I would cut back on the mysis cubes to maybe a quarter cube daily, and soak/thaw it in RO water before feeding to remove some of the "nasty stuff" ie. PO4. HTH

i have the same problem after adding a set of 260 watts PC lights
no fish, just about a dozen snails and i hermit crab. the livestock and eating though but in small spots. its not everywhere though, just on one large LR and some spots in the LS.

Cut back on feedings. Only feed every other day. Been doing this for over 8 years with no algea problems. Algea must be fed.

i thought i had to feed the fish like twice a day.....????

fish are not people, they dont eat like we do. if they did, they will have McNemo's at every reef corner

but isnt it better to feed them every day???
cause i feed them twice a day and everytime i feed them they all seem hungry and eat everything i give to them....
i think im gonna start feeding them only once a day......

Back
Top Bottom