Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2005, 10:41 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Sand before or after cyling?

Cycling with shrimp. Started yesterday. Just a powerhead to move the water a bit for now.

Gonna do some rock and sand of course.

Should I add the rock now and let the die-off add to the shrimp ammonia source. What about the live sand? I guess I'm thinking that the live stuff in the sand might fare better after the ammonia spike.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just add it all now and let it cycle together. You may actually prolong your cycle by adding the LR at a later time.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:07 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

The sand too? I thought the "live sand" billing, and water in the sealed bag meant something was in there that could die off with the high ammonia spike.

I'm "with ya" on the rock though. That makes sense.

How long does it take to get LR.com stuff in after the order? I'd think if I got something w/in the next 7 days, I might be alright, huh?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 02-08-2005, 11:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go ahead and put the sand in there to. The "LS" in the bag is really more like wet dead sand. I am sure if you tested the water from the bag, it would be pretty high in ammonia. Sounds like a good experiemnt. I really do not think there is much left to kill in those bags. Although I have used them becuse I really like the look of the sand.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
the bag is really more like wet dead sand.
Good point. Will add it now. In order to avoid a mini-cycle with rock, I'm thinking it needs to be in there w/in the next 7 days or so too. Whatcha think?

Old 02-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My cycle is proceeding nicely with only live sand and some dead shrimp (the smell is gone courtesy of carbon in a quickfilter on a powerhead). I jumped started the shrimp at the beginning of the cycle with clear ammonia (for two days at 2 ppm). While bagged LS doesn't contain pods, etc. it certainly contains bacteria - with luck the kind needed to spur the cycle.

From what I've read about lr.com, the rock produces only a small spike in a cycled tank. After my sand sets up, I'm adding the rock. I'll wait and monitor for ammonia, then begin my cleanup brigade with the first fish doing a one-month stint in QT (probably a jawfish).

As I said - my cycle is going strong. Ammo is still very high (8+), with nitrites at around 2 and nitrates 25. (Nitrites appeared three days ago, and nitrates a day and a half later) This afternoon will be the end of day 10.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

My cycle took 7 days. I put in about 40lbs of LR. Removed my bio balls from my w/d filter and put in LR rubble. And put 2 jumbo shrimp in...

MAG-DRIVE 700 GPH
2x Maxi-Jet 1200 Power Head
PC Lighting
Remora pro skimmer
90 lbs LR
80 lbs of Carib Sea

Fish
Majestic Angel, Pink spotted gobie. Black percular clown, Coral Beauty, Lt. Tang, Mitratus B/F, Multicolor Dwarf Angelfish
sango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com