Sand before or after cyling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Cycling with shrimp. Started yesterday. Just a powerhead to move the water a bit for now.

Gonna do some rock and sand of course.

Should I add the rock now and let the die-off add to the shrimp ammonia source. What about the live sand? I guess I'm thinking that the live stuff in the sand might fare better after the ammonia spike.

I would just add it all now and let it cycle together. You may actually prolong your cycle by adding the LR at a later time.

The sand too? I thought the "live sand" billing, and water in the sealed bag meant something was in there that could die off with the high ammonia spike.

I'm "with ya" on the rock though. That makes sense.

How long does it take to get LR.com stuff in after the order? I'd think if I got something w/in the next 7 days, I might be alright, huh?

Go ahead and put the sand in there to. The "LS" in the bag is really more like wet dead sand. I am sure if you tested the water from the bag, it would be pretty high in ammonia. Sounds like a good experiemnt. I really do not think there is much left to kill in those bags. Although I have used them becuse I really like the look of the sand.

the bag is really more like wet dead sand.

Good point. Will add it now. In order to avoid a mini-cycle with rock, I'm thinking it needs to be in there w/in the next 7 days or so too. Whatcha think?

My cycle is proceeding nicely with only live sand and some dead shrimp (the smell is gone courtesy of carbon in a quickfilter on a powerhead). I jumped started the shrimp at the beginning of the cycle with clear ammonia (for two days at 2 ppm). While bagged LS doesn't contain pods, etc. it certainly contains bacteria - with luck the kind needed to spur the cycle.

From what I've read about lr.com, the rock produces only a small spike in a cycled tank. After my sand sets up, I'm adding the rock. I'll wait and monitor for ammonia, then begin my cleanup brigade with the first fish doing a one-month stint in QT (probably a jawfish).

As I said - my cycle is going strong. Ammo is still very high (8+), with nitrites at around 2 and nitrates 25. (Nitrites appeared three days ago, and nitrates a day and a half later) This afternoon will be the end of day 10.

My cycle took 7 days. I put in about 40lbs of LR. Removed my bio balls from my w/d filter and put in LR rubble. And put 2 jumbo shrimp in...

Back
Top Bottom