Sounds very much like cyano
bacteria. This is usaully the cause of high phosphates in the water. What type of water do you use? I used tap water for top off until mine got an attack of Cyano
and hair algae. I have since switched to completley RO
water and the problem has remedied itself. IF you can, try not to use additives to get rid of it...Go to the root of the problem and solve it that way.. The more quick fixes we implement in the hobby, the more we detriment other organisms that we desire in our tanks.
Also, how much flow is in the tank? How much do you feed? How often? If you can give us a history of the tank, we can get down to the root of the problem and hopefully help you resolve it...
PS. I used red slime remover by the advice from my LFS
, and it did get rid of it for about a week. Then it was back again and I did not use it again. It is nothing more than a quick fix or mask if you will. The phosphates continue to build and it continues to grow...vicious cycle.