Sand/CC questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RubixCube

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in the process of starting my tank back up. (Lost everything to marine velvet) So, im interested in sand. I had CC in before but I have been hearing that sand is even better. Now here is the thing. I live in Eastern Canada and Southdown is not available here at all. So, what are my choices? My LFS has sand which I have in a FW tank, you can get fine or medium size grains of sand. It’s a nice looking sand but can I use it in my SW tank? Or should I just go back with the CC? Thanks

i have both sand and cc, half on the left side and cc on the right side, but one thing i notice is that sand do look a lot nicer but if you don't have any kind of sand shifter than it will look ugly and i know, and cc won't have that problem

You could use that sand but it wouldn't offer any pH buffering like your CC did or an aragonite based sand would.

Do you have a Rona near you? That is where I was finally able to find some aragonite here in Ottawa for about $5 for a 23kg bag. It was in the stone yard and was called "white play sand" by Bomix

Do you have a Rona near you? That is where I was finally able to find some aragonite here in Ottawa for about $5 for a 23kg bag. It was in the stone yard and was called "white play sand" by Bomix

Hi there, can anyone else vouch for this bomix stuff? I have seen it at the Rona in kitchener but was unsure if it would work? Thanks

i use a cc argonite sand mixture and it helps buffer my system, so far its been rock solid on all parameters. I think a good portion of cc and argonite sand couple with a lot of high quality live rock makes for a very nice and stable system.

soupy11 said:
Anyone have any idea if that Bomix stuff is argonite? Thanks/
If you want to find out for yourself then you will need to get some grains of it and add a drop or two of vinegar. If it's aragonite then it will fizz.

Great find canadian-eh
I tried some vinegar as well to make sure that it was ok and I got a small reaction of one or two bubbles per second. Is this all I am looking for>? I was expecting it to froth up like a tums. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom