Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

sand cleaner

Hi what kind of fish or invert that cleans/ shift the sand ?

other than a goby I treid two the first got stuck under a rock and the other jumped out. my sand is starting to get greenish brown moldy color prob from my window. Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi I have a sand sifting starfish. It keeps my sand nice and clean.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

I have a sea cucumber and a fighting conch that are the best bed cleaners be ever seen. The only way my gobies clean the sand like people say they do is not to feed them. The cucumber eats anything on the floor even cyano and literally shots out clean sand from its but
Old 02-26-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

There is the cucumber there cleaning the glass. Thats a first for me to see that

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120226_193430.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	79238
Old 02-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #5

If u got brown stuff on ur sand hermits and crabs aren't going to do it. Nassarius snails just eat the food u feed so they aren't going to do anything and the only time they actually move sand around is alittle spot where they dig in after they ate. None the less I won't have a tank without them. But the cucumber is ir best bet to eat the top layer of sand. I didn't buy one at first cuz of the bad rep but I wont go without one. If u get one just don't let it die inside ur tank. My store sold me a tiger tail labeled as a sand sifting cucumber.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I think you should increase the flow. My sand bed is clean, and I don't have any specialized critters. The correct amount of flow will keep detritus in the water column until your filtration can remove it.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #7

Yeah that to increased flow. If u set something down anywhere in my tank there is current.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M
If u got brown stuff on ur sand hermits and crabs aren't going to do it. Nassarius snails just eat the food u feed so they aren't going to do anything and the only time they actually move sand around is alittle spot where they dig in after they ate. None the less I won't have a tank without them. But the cucumber is ir best bet to eat the top layer of sand. I didn't buy one at first cuz of the bad rep but I wont go without one. If u get one just don't let it die inside ur tank. My store sold me a tiger tail labeled as a sand sifting cucumber.
Thanks I'll look into the sea cucumber what happen if it dies in my tank?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
I think you should increase the flow. My sand bed is clean, and I don't have any specialized critters. The correct amount of flow will keep detritus in the water column until your filtration can remove it.
I have almost 4000 gph flow I guess I'll try moveing the powerheads around to aim more near the sand
Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If you are going to buy a cucumber, the only one I would recommend is the tigertail cucumber. It's the only one that won't toxify the tank in the event of it's early demise.
That said, I seriously doubt that it will clean the entire sand bed for you. They tend to stay close to the corners and rock, and hardly ever venture out to the middle of the sand bed. Also, it will remove everything from the sand it eats- bacteria as well.

Tags
clean, cleaner, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com