Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

IMO, if you're taking it from reasonably deep waters, you shouldn't need to cure it at all. Nor rinse or anything else. If your comfortable with the sand you're getting, it should go from ocean to tank. After it's settled in the tank (and the tank should be full of water) you could let it set without adding any rock anything for a day or so if you wanted to watch for hitchikers etc. Make sure no nasties got brought along.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

wait till the run of from the rain is cleard off. I think you might take it about a week after it is safe to surf again.

Hang loose

swissfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:09 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I keep my cell phone in my front pocket. Can I have children anymore?

Scuba Steve, I mean bad stuff Like. "After I introduced 10 lbs of sand from the beach into my system, my fish all died."

That kinda bad stuff.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

YMMV is all I can add to this topic. Hey Steve, there's this game I heard about. You take a revolver and only put 1 bullet in it. Then you spin the chamber, close it and put the barrel to your head. Then you pull the trigger.

Just because you didn't have a problem a couple of times does not mean that another person in another location is not going to bring all kind of nasties into a closed marine system.

I wouldn't do it to my tank because the idea of losing all the livestock to save a few bucks doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather beg or borrow a cup of LS from another tank that has been running problem free for some time.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:33 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

ouch! 8O

Mike
Old 01-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wouldn't do it to my tank because the idea of losing all the livestock to save a few bucks doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather beg or borrow a cup of LS from another tank that has been running problem free for some time.
your sand bed will never be as good as mine end of story

Quote:
Just because you didn't have a problem a couple of times does not mean that another person in another location is not going to bring all kind of nasties into a closed marine system.
why i asked for examples !!! yet to hear or see any ! have you smarty ?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
YMMV is all I can add to this topic. Hey Steve, there's this game I heard about. You take a revolver and only put 1 bullet in it. Then you spin the chamber, close it and put the barrel to your head. Then you pull the trigger.

This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Hey Keith,

Didn't mean to offend, just offer a contrary point of view. If that makes me an idiot in your eyes so be it. I still believe that if you are taking your chances with that method when you don't have to. Dry sand is $3 - $5 per 50 pound bag. A little LS from anywhere free or next to nothing. Get a cup a cup there and the diversity is probably greater than you have from taking sand from one spot in the ocean.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
OK guys, were all friends here. We can post different opinion on the subject, but lets not get personal. Don't want to break out the padlock, its a good subject.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good subject, but as Q said, let's keep it civil my friends.

I know many will disagree as they are with scuba S, but if I lived close to the shore of a nice beach in Florida or somewhere reasonably clean, then I would be inclined to go out as far as possible and give the sand a shot. Really there is no telling where alot of this "live sand" comes from. Maybe it comes right off of the beach front.

Anyway, it's ok to disagree.

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com