Sand for my 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sniperhank

Giant Clam Addict
So, I have spent more time than I care to researching sand. My head hurts. Why can't I just walk into Ace hardware and tell them I want aggregate sand and be looked at like I'm redoing a sidewalk? Where on earth am I going to get this stuff without buying 8000 bags of "live sand" and getting bent over by Petco?

Sniperhank said:
So, I have spent more time than I care to researching sand. My head hurts. Why can't I just walk into Ace hardware and tell them I want aggregate sand and be looked at like I'm redoing a sidewalk? Where on earth am I going to get this stuff without buying 8000 bags of "live sand" and getting bent over by Petco?

I have heard that pool filter sand works well, and it is pretty cheap. The people I've talked to about it say you can get it from a swimming pool supply store.

I bought my pool filter sand at home depot. 50lbs for about $5.

Have about 300lbs in my 125g and another 150lbs in my 90g and so far so good, no issues with algae or anything else. It's small enough for sand sifters as well. :)

You can buy dry aragonite based sand from your LFS. You can also order it from Marco rocks, or one of those online vendors.

Yeah...those prices aren't happening. Pool filter sand you say? Can't believe something so simple will not only work, but buffer my ph at the same time.

Well, I ordered some aragamax sand from Dr Foster and Smith, my 2 best friends with PHD's. Also a new Koralia 1050 for some more power in my 55 gal. That should free up my 550 koralia to help mix salt water for PWCs.

Back
Top Bottom