Sand in new saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishShack

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,

Clean tank, added water, salt and sand to new tank. Water is really cloudy and its starting to clear up as I have the filters running but I am seeing a thin film of sand on the glass. What should I do to remove this thin film of sand/dust from the glass? Should I drain the tank, clean it off and fill it again?

I am using CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Aquarium Sand. It said not to rinse so I didn't.

Fishshack

Turn off power heads and the like. As long as water still moves through the filter you will still cycle. The cloudiness will clear up in a couple of days

Probelm is there is a thin sand/dusty film on the glass inside the tank, should I drain, wipe off and fill back up again, or will it dissipate over time?

Probelm is there is a thin sand/dusty film on the glass inside the tank, should I drain, wipe off and fill back up again, or will it dissipate over time?

i know what your talking about and i hate it as well, everytime i start a new tank i dread it, its a fine dust off the sand, if you get a magfloat you can get almost all of it off the glass, now to get it off powerheads and filter pipes, rocks, etc time will do it for you if you can wait, and im a very impatinet person so i stuck my hand in with a small microfiber cloth and cleaned off everything else i couldnt get with the magfloat (y)

It will go away on its own. No need to drain and start over. When I set up my 75 it looked pretty nasty for about five days.

Agree with tex. Just use a magfloat to clean the glass. I had the same thing when I set up my tank. I used a mag float for the glass and a turkey baster to squirt it off the rest of the equipment. It will go away the longer the tank runs.

Yep, I came home today and the tank was clear or I would say clearer, I used the mag float and gently rubbed the dust along the glass and it was clear aquarium when done. I also cleaned out my filters. Now that I can see the bottom of my tank again and I was able to push the sand around to make it even but now a cloudy tank again but I am getting closer to starting cycle. I also added more salt in as I am trying to get the salt stable. Its a slow process but I am getting there.....maybe this weekend I can finally drop in shrimp and start my cycle, well see how it goes....when I can see the bottom again ill put in my rock next....

Fishshack

Typically you want about 1.025 give or take .01.
Fish only can be fine with a lower salinity but in a reef tank you want that 1.025

Yep natural seawater is at 1.026. That's what we strive for our tanks to be but fish can take lower salinities while coral usually don't tolerate it.

I was just thinking but why am I even worry about the salinity right now anyway, its at 1.022, since at the end of the cycle Ill need to do a big water change correct. I will need to mix salt again to fill back up, right? So I should just stop trying to make that perfect and just throw the 2 shrimp in there and start the cycle right?

Throw the shrimp in and go for gold. Basically right. You could just drop some salt in to raise your salinity as well...you are cycling so with no livestock this is the one and only time you can get away with mixing in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom