Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sand in new saltwater tank

Hi everyone,

Clean tank, added water, salt and sand to new tank. Water is really cloudy and its starting to clear up as I have the filters running but I am seeing a thin film of sand on the glass. What should I do to remove this thin film of sand/dust from the glass? Should I drain the tank, clean it off and fill it again?

I am using CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Aquarium Sand. It said not to rinse so I didn't.

Fishshack

2 Aquaclear power filters 40 to 70gl; 1 Hydor Slim Protein Skimmer 48 to 65gl; 2 Fluval Heaters; 50lbs Carib Sea Aquascaping Reef Rock; 60lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Aquarium Sand; Deep Blue SolarMax HE2 Double 48" T5 Strip Light - 28w x2 + Moonlights
FishShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Turn off power heads and the like. As long as water still moves through the filter you will still cycle. The cloudiness will clear up in a couple of days

Old 11-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Probelm is there is a thin sand/dusty film on the glass inside the tank, should I drain, wipe off and fill back up again, or will it dissipate over time?
2 Aquaclear power filters 40 to 70gl; 1 Hydor Slim Protein Skimmer 48 to 65gl; 2 Fluval Heaters; 50lbs Carib Sea Aquascaping Reef Rock; 60lbs CaribSea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite Aquarium Sand; Deep Blue SolarMax HE2 Double 48" T5 Strip Light - 28w x2 + Moonlights
Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishShack View Post
Probelm is there is a thin sand/dusty film on the glass inside the tank, should I drain, wipe off and fill back up again, or will it dissipate over time?
i know what your talking about and i hate it as well, everytime i start a new tank i dread it, its a fine dust off the sand, if you get a magfloat you can get almost all of it off the glass, now to get it off powerheads and filter pipes, rocks, etc time will do it for you if you can wait, and im a very impatinet person so i stuck my hand in with a small microfiber cloth and cleaned off everything else i couldnt get with the magfloat
Old 11-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It will go away on its own. No need to drain and start over. When I set up my 75 it looked pretty nasty for about five days.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Agree with tex. Just use a magfloat to clean the glass. I had the same thing when I set up my tank. I used a mag float for the glass and a turkey baster to squirt it off the rest of the equipment. It will go away the longer the tank runs.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yep, I came home today and the tank was clear or I would say clearer, I used the mag float and gently rubbed the dust along the glass and it was clear aquarium when done. I also cleaned out my filters. Now that I can see the bottom of my tank again and I was able to push the sand around to make it even but now a cloudy tank again but I am getting closer to starting cycle. I also added more salt in as I am trying to get the salt stable. Its a slow process but I am getting there.....maybe this weekend I can finally drop in shrimp and start my cycle, well see how it goes....when I can see the bottom again ill put in my rock next....

Fishshack
Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, what should the salinity be for salt water tank, right now its between 1.020 and 1.021? Is that ok?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Typically you want about 1.025 give or take .01.
Fish only can be fine with a lower salinity but in a reef tank you want that 1.025
Old 11-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Will fish be ok at 1.025?

Tags
ate, new saltwater tank, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, sand, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com