Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I thought Zero gave some great advice. CC has some good points like buffer SW but to me the CC holds fish waste and other junk to form lots of nitrates. What are your nitrates reading at?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I tested yesterday after my weekly water change and my readings were

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

It's been like this everytime i've tested (except at the very start) like I said I use Special Blend and Nite out2 after everywater change so that might have something to do with it

Old 09-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by godslayer View Post
It's been like this everytime i've tested (except at the very start) like I said I use Special Blend and Nite out2 after everywater change so that might have something to do with it
I`m not familar with those. What do they accomplish?

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 09-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
is back to save the day!

I would guess that the Niteout2 would get rid of nitrates/nitrites.. but i've never heard of the other one either.

godslayer, there are other natural ways to get rid of nitrates and other excess nutrients in the water column than just using chemicals every water change you do. It's just personal preference i guess, but i think that using chemicals in a SW tank should be last resort when you've gone through everything naturally possible to get rid of the problem. Assuming there is a problem. Using chemicals could crash your entire system, assuming something bad were to go wrong with the chemicals you were using. Expired, measured wrong, etc... Whatever the case may be, i still think chemicals should be last resort.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #15

Special blend is "a complete eco system in a bottle" (what it says on the box) it also starts biological filters and boosts them, lowers ammonia and biologically reduces nitrates, it also reduces the need for cleaning and breaks down residue on gravel. the main reason I use it though is it maintaines the biological filter.

Nite out 2 keeps the nitrates and ites down
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Chemicals that are supposed to bring "Perfrect water parameters" should not be used. A simple pwc will fix almost anything. That bacteria stuff is junk too.
Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Chemistry and the Aquarium

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 09-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #18

Special blends not actually a chemical, I was sold it by my LFS owner who's advice on that I trust, he uses it on all his tanks(shop and home) when cleaning.

I know about sumps but I honestly dont have the know how or time to make one, and would one really be needed for a small tank my size?
Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
is back to save the day!

You can make a sump for any size tank and it will always be a plus. While you may not entirely need it since its a small tank, it would do your tank good to have one. It just increases water volume, and the more water, the less fluctuations the water will have, and the better quality the water will be. And when you have good water quality, everything in the tank benefits. I agree with thom fully, and would not use any chemicals ever if it were my tank. Also, your LFS owner may just use that to keep his water in check, considering he has tons of tanks, all connected, which means they all share the same water. He may need it just to keep the stress on the fish down, until the fish is bought, and goes to a bigger, better and more established tank. It could be for alot of reasons.. ones he may not even be telling you about.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #20

I understand what you're saying but honestly I've had tanks in the past and not used special blend and I can honestly say I can see the difference. Special blend itself is not a chemical, nite out 2 might be, I haven't checked up on it but I do only use that once a month. My LFS owner swears by this stuff and wouldn't sell me it if he didn't trust it.

I know there are different ways to deal with water problems but I use this because I trust the advice given to me by my LFS. I only use SB as a boost after a PWC.

Onto the sumps, I'd love to learn how to make one and would give it a go, any ideas on what size I'd need for a 62L tank and where I could get a rough idea on how to make one?

Tags
coral, gravel, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com