Sand or Coral Gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

godslayer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok guys, so I'm setting up a new tank soon and I was wondering what the pro's and con's of sand and gravel are.

Any help and opinions will be a great help!

Thanks

GS

I've heard Aragonite is one of the best sw substrates. Don't fall for the live sand trick tho, most of the bacteria are already dead when you buy it because of all the different temperatures its been subjected to.

Yeah thats what I was thinking of getting, I know about the whole live sand trick, it'd be amazing if the bacteria could actually withstand sitting on the shelves for months on end!

Crushed coral can turn into a nitrate factory if I remember right. I have aragonite. It looks lovely, wont hurt any corals sitting on the bottom and gives the tank a more natural look.

To be honest I've got crushed coral in the bottom of my 62L now and my waters absolutely perfect, it might be just because I use microbe special blend and nite out 2 with every water change.

I think I'm going to go for aragonite because like you said Flake it does look lovely.

How long has your tank been running with the crushed coral? It can take a while for water parameters to start showing up. One of the main problems with CC is that the pieces are large and rigid.. so it makes a perfect place for waste and detritus to build up. Also, it makes it alot harder for things like snails and other detritus eating things, to get down there, to dispose of the waste. I just think its a bad decision overall, since it may not be looking bad now.. but it will sooner or later. As for the sand, i think it just makes a lovely home for just about everything. Alot of things in the marine world thrive in sand. but thats just my opinion.

I've had CC in my 62L for about 4-5 months now, I rake it over everyday and take out any clumps/debris along with waste. My sandshifting starfish seems to be happy enough in it, I've had him for a good 3 months now.

Once I get my new tank up and cycled I'm thinking about emptying my 62 and filling it with R/O water (the new tanks going to be filled with it straight away) so I might switch from CC to sand if you advise it.

Thanks for your help Zer0 (pumpkins fan?)

Well, ofcourse if you do heavy maintenance on anything, it won't really be doing what everyone says it would, as far as giving off nitrates goes. As for that sea star.. that really is not a good place for it. It's called a sandsifting sea star for a reason. That CC can damage its body, as well as many of its tube feet. It may not be showing any signs of distress or damage right now, but prolonged use of the CC with that type of sea star is only asking for trouble. And yes, i would advise against CC.. but that's just MY opinion. You can do whatever you feel is best, and just see how everything fairs out. Sand is just easier to take care of, in our case, and in the livestocks case. Things like nassarius snails, plow through sand and eat detritus and keep up maintenance on the sand for you. As well as other things like gobies, some blennies, and some shrimp. I can assure you that if that sea star was able to sift through sand, instead of dried up pieces of coral, it would be alot happier. Not even going to go into the discussion of sandsifting sea stars in aquariums..:rolleyes:

But overall, if it was my tank.. i would be switching to sand the first chance i get. And im sure alot more people here would back me up on that.

Good Luck!

You just said the magic words I was looking for, "Sand is just easier to take care of, in our case". The starfish was going be moved into the new tank once it had cycled, I only got it for that and because my LFS don't get many in.

Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it

I thought Zero gave some great advice. CC has some good points like buffer SW but to me the CC holds fish waste and other junk to form lots of nitrates. What are your nitrates reading at?

I tested yesterday after my weekly water change and my readings were

pH 8.2
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

It's been like this everytime i've tested (except at the very start) like I said I use Special Blend and Nite out2 after everywater change so that might have something to do with it

It's been like this everytime i've tested (except at the very start) like I said I use Special Blend and Nite out2 after everywater change so that might have something to do with it

I`m not familar with those. What do they accomplish?

I would guess that the Niteout2 would get rid of nitrates/nitrites.. but i've never heard of the other one either.

godslayer, there are other natural ways to get rid of nitrates and other excess nutrients in the water column than just using chemicals every water change you do. It's just personal preference i guess, but i think that using chemicals in a SW tank should be last resort when you've gone through everything naturally possible to get rid of the problem. Assuming there is a problem. Using chemicals could crash your entire system, assuming something bad were to go wrong with the chemicals you were using. Expired, measured wrong, etc... Whatever the case may be, i still think chemicals should be last resort.

Special blend is "a complete eco system in a bottle" (what it says on the box) it also starts biological filters and boosts them, lowers ammonia and biologically reduces nitrates, it also reduces the need for cleaning and breaks down residue on gravel. the main reason I use it though is it maintaines the biological filter.

Nite out 2 keeps the nitrates and ites down

Special blends not actually a chemical, I was sold it by my LFS owner who's advice on that I trust, he uses it on all his tanks(shop and home) when cleaning.

I know about sumps but I honestly dont have the know how or time to make one, and would one really be needed for a small tank my size?

You can make a sump for any size tank and it will always be a plus. While you may not entirely need it since its a small tank, it would do your tank good to have one. It just increases water volume, and the more water, the less fluctuations the water will have, and the better quality the water will be. And when you have good water quality, everything in the tank benefits. I agree with thom fully, and would not use any chemicals ever if it were my tank. Also, your LFS owner may just use that to keep his water in check, considering he has tons of tanks, all connected, which means they all share the same water. He may need it just to keep the stress on the fish down, until the fish is bought, and goes to a bigger, better and more established tank. It could be for alot of reasons.. ones he may not even be telling you about.

I understand what you're saying but honestly I've had tanks in the past and not used special blend and I can honestly say I can see the difference. Special blend itself is not a chemical, nite out 2 might be, I haven't checked up on it but I do only use that once a month. My LFS owner swears by this stuff and wouldn't sell me it if he didn't trust it.

I know there are different ways to deal with water problems but I use this because I trust the advice given to me by my LFS. I only use SB as a boost after a PWC.

Onto the sumps, I'd love to learn how to make one and would give it a go, any ideas on what size I'd need for a 62L tank and where I could get a rough idea on how to make one?

Back
Top Bottom