sand or crushed coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dookie320

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

This is my first post here. i have been wanting a SW tank for some years now and i finally decided to go for it (i guess finding nemo pushed me over). dont worry, im not one of the band wagon ppl =). anyway. i have filled the tank with salt water but i have not started the cycle yet. when i purchased everything, the sales guy told me to use crushed coral over live sand because i could clean it easier. but from reading the posts, most ppl suggest using live sand. i have a eclipse hood whit bio wheel and mechanical carbon filter. will this be ok with live sand?

2nd question - when i do start the cycle, how often should i check the parameters

3rd question - when should i remove the dead shrimp?

4th question - once the cylcle ends, how often should i check the parameters or should it only be on water changes?

5th question - how can i check clorine in the water, or what water should i use?

I have read the article on staring the cylce w/o using live fish. Thank you for you help and im looking forward to be a regular here.

mike

hi mike welcome if you go with a deep sand bed you do not clean the sand you let it layer i found the substrate question the hardest to solve do a search on this forum on dsb and you will find some very very informative arguments both ways ultimately you have to make the final decision but it will give you a lot to think about. i decided to make my decision based on the looks of the tanks i have seen by looking at the gallerys and there is a post that has tank pics on it also check some of them out it gave me something to shoot for...in the mean time you are doing it just right read read research read some more and ask away this is a very helpful friendly and knowledgeable bunch (y)

thanks for hte reply, im new to this forum but not a form nub. i know about the search function, just sometimes hard to know what to search for (took a long time just to figure out what DSB meant :?). thanks for the reply again and hopefully some ppl will be able to answer some of my questions but if not, im sure i can find the info somehwere on here.

dookie320 said:
when i purchased everything, the sales guy told me to use crushed coral over live sand because i could clean it easier.

Completely false. CC will do more to trap detritus and make it much harder to maintain the aquarium. You can use dry sand and live sand however. The LS will colonize the dead sand in no time.

2nd question - when i do start the cycle, how often should i check the parameters

I would check no more than once or twice a week if that. To properly cycle the tank it will take up to three weeks or longer. No need in wasting test kits. Basically it goes ammonia>>nitrite>>nirtrate This article should give you a decent time line, although it will vary.

3rd question - when should i remove the dead shrimp?

Generaly until there is no more ammonia or nitrite and nitrates are visible. At this time you can add waste producing animals to maintain the cycle. Sensitive animals should be strictly avoided.

4th question - once the cylcle ends, how often should i check the parameters or should it only be on water changes?

In the beginning, water changes will be the best method of maintenance. Once you "get your feet wet" in the hobby you will find a routine that suits you and the aquarium.

5th question - how can i check clorine in the water, or what water should i use?

Your nose is the best sensor for chlorine, but chloramines are not redily detectable. The use of RO water is highly recommended but if unavailable, I highly suggest Prime.

I have read the article on staring the cylce w/o using live fish. Thank you for you help and im looking forward to be a regular here.

You refering to Dr. Chris Cow's article?

Best of luck.
Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:

You refering to Dr. Chris Cow's article?

Best of luck.
Cheers
Steve
i dunno who wrote it, im refering to this document, its under "How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish."

so i should go with sand? should i just get live sand from the LFS?

You could go with a combination of live sand and common oolitic sand which is also sold at the LFS. I would definately skip the CC.

Keep in mind if you will be using live rock, live sand is kinda redundant and an added exspense that is not really necessary. (IMO). :wink:

Cheers
Steve

what most folks do for a sand bed is to use play sand, specificaly Southdown/Old Castle carribean play sand. You can buy it at home depot for $4-5 (US) for a 50 pound bag. it's a LOT cheaper than what you pay at the LFS and is identicle sand. Use that as a base for your sand bed. If you will have LR then yes, the LR will seed the sand but most also buy just a few pounds of live sand to seed the dry sand from home depot, just to help things along.

Back
Top Bottom