Sand or Crushed Shell Base?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddy-o

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a difference in putting down a base of crushed shells versus just sand? Does one stay cleaner than the other?

Definitely go with sand. Crushed shells can accumulate detritus and cause high nitrates.

Totally agree. Crushed coral or shells will become a problem at some point no matter your effort level.

That is what I was afraid of. LFS guy said it would not matter so I now have it in my tank and am regretting it.

Regarding changing... Should I scoop most out and replace or all? FYI - getting ready to rearrange rocks so already getting my hands wet.

Just make sure and get a large grain sand....I have Aragonite sand and its so fine that I always have sand floating in water column no matter how I position PHs. I am wanting to change sand so bad but it will cause tank to have to go through a new cycle. I am seriously thinking about going to crushed coral I don't mind to vacuum when I do PWCs.

That sand blowing around will stop. It's only like that in the beginning.
To the OP: I would remove all of it and then add the new stuff. If you leave the crushed coral, it will always make it's way to the top and cover your nice sand.

Don't mean to hijack thread but Mr X my tanks has been up for two months....u think it should still be blowing around? It covers my rocks and everything

When I added top off water I used to think the sand was blowing like crazy but turns out they are just copepods :)

Will tank go through a cycle by adding new sand? What if i add live sand?Will it be severe enough to kill my fish? What about the few corals on have now?

I think you should add a small amount over time. Live sand will change your ph quickly if added all at once. I don't think it will start your cycle over but not sure

It shouldn't be enough to change your pH to drastically...but I would still add it slowly over a period of time. Mostly because all that sand flying around isn't what you would want to breathe, right? As stated above, get yourself some nice aragonite sand. Here is a link to where I just got mine, pretty good deal if you have trouble getting specific things in your area.

Aragamax Aquarium Sand

They have other kinds that might trip your trigger, so search around. Infact, now I wish I had so I could have black or pink sand...lol

Over how much time are we talking about here? How much sand is needed for a 90 gal tank?

Don't mean to hijack thread but Mr X my tanks has been up for two months....u think it should still be blowing around? It covers my rocks and everything
Yes. Eventually it will settle.

Buy dry sand and rinse it thoroughly before adding. It will become live on it's own. It should not cause any spike or cycle. the live rock you already have in the tank is calcium based.

Thanks for advice! So, my two fold plan is to add more dead rock and replace the shell base with dead sand. I need to add about 20-30lbs of rock to get to the advised 90lbs.

I will pull my rocks and coral out of tank. Keeping corals in a bucket and then layout rocks on floor for proper placement. Then glue as needed. Next I'll scoop out the shells on bottom and replace with the dead sand. Then put rock and corals back in. Probably about an hour or two.

Will this work without killing everything? Should I do the sand first then wait a week for the rocks? Would really like to do everything at once.

Hmm..I would put the rock in a different container with salt water in it and monitor that water for a week or so to make sure you don't get any kind of spike or anything. I'm not sure I would just toss 30 pounds of dry rock in the tank.
At least Soak it for a while before adding. I've never used dry rock since i can get live rock for the same price, so I'm not sure.
I don't think the sand would cause any issues.
I definitely would have a large water change ready for any hiccups.

Back
Top Bottom